Sunday, July 27, 2014

My Pretties


I must discuss something serious with you. 

=============
........................................

I think you should sit down for this... thing...

*************************************

I... uhhhh...

I kind of...

sort of...? 

have an itty bit of unbridled passion for...

for... 

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
........................................hhhhhhhhh........................................

============================================

{-ahem-}

*******************
**********

For...

...um...

{Summer flowers}

There - I said it!


Beneath this mess of hemming and hawing, I feel inclined to offer a peek at the fanciful flowers surrounding our home. I've been snapping pictures aplenty - and I've been dying to share.

I planted three smallish rose bushes in a bare flower bed. I was noticing all the gorgeous roses in everyone's yard around town, so I decided to be a follower and bring some of that joy to our residence. Now I can gasp with delight for years to come, without ever leaving home. 




These (below) are some of my faves. They're tiny. I planted these all around the perimeter of my 
front flower bed. 




My alyssum grew back from last year, so that's exciting. It's now about the size of me if I were to lie down in the fetal position right on top of it. 

Maria gave me this beautiful hanging basket for Mother's Day. I love it!
 Flowers are just about the best presents! 




I love fuchsia plants! I'm not sure who decided on that spelling, but the flowers are compelling!


Check out the combo of orange and pink in these pretty petals.




It seems like every year I find new flowers I'd never seen before. I love it! Take these 'peppermint petunias' for example. I like almost anything that reminds me of candy. Combining candy and flowers into one is simply a winning situation. But I don't recommend consuming these flowers. I tried a few petals after a spicy dinner and they weren't as minty as I'd anticipated. ;-)


Ugh! Aren't they fabulous?!

The only problem is, the stems are so tall that they flop over the side of the pot. But that doesn't stop them from being pretty. I took these pictures soon after I bought them. Now they are slouching more than I do. Maybe they need more water and/or sun. I don't know!!! They're still alive and stuff, but I feel like they aren't standing up like I think they could if I knew how to care for them. It was probably something I said.








My delicate dahlias.  




Wooohoooo! 

These carnations grew back from last year, and I didn't know they were going to! I'm so glad I didn't dump them out when I thought they were a lost cause. I absolutely like the smell of carnations. =)



This is the more common variety of peppermint petunias! I'm always on the lookout for these when I'm selecting my flowers to plant each year.




Zinnias make my heart sing! Just kidding - that would be creepy and it just isn't physically possible. 
But they sure as heck make me feel happy!




Notice the plentitude of pink. I can't remember the name of these, but they like to multiply. 
I like that they like to do that.




I love all the layers of petals on these. 



Perfection. 
(Those may or may not be droplets of my own drool on the petals.)

Zinnias and petunias and marigolds - oh my!



June 1


June 20

Yes, I know the second pic is closer up, but the flowers are also more voluminous than they were when first planted. I'm glad they're comfy enough in our yard to show us what they've got.

I love watching the progression of flowers. It's amazing how the same grouping of blooms changes as the days melt by. Some fade and need to be clipped, but that only makes more blossoms spontaneously take their place. They eat up the sun and water and put on such a wonderful show. 

I do believe this is my favorite assortment of flowers I've planted since we've lived here. I guess the third year's a charm!

1 comment:

  1. I love all of your flowers! I love zinnias but I didn't know their name until now. Now maybe I can go get some, or maybe next year. :) Have a great rest of the summer!

    ReplyDelete