Wednesday, August 18, 2010

"My name is Zoom and I live on the moon..."




This is what my girls wake up to on their birthdays. (As illustrated in the video footage, Jane wasn't quite ready to rise and shine.) What can be heard in the background is a personalized birthday song sung by "Zoom" who purportedly lives on the moon. Cora already pointed out that it couldn't be real because people can't live on the moon.

I had the same song with my name in it given to me by my grandma when I was around my girls' ages. I can hear it now... "Hey, Shannon! It's your birthday! I'm in charge of the stars and I'm here to say: Hey, Shannon-you're the big star today! (dum-da-dum-da-dum, doo-doo-doo-do-doo-do) My name is Zoom and I live on the moon, but I came down to earth just to sing you this tune, cause Shannon- it's your birthday. Today!" I loved it! It was a floppy black"record" and I'm sure I wore it out. Sadly, I don't know whatever happened to it.

A couple of years ago I decided to look online to see if they still made the songs. My kids' childhoods would not be complete without the tradition of Zoom serenading them every year on their birthdays! I found exactly what I was looking for, thanks to a little Google search! Not only do they still sell the songs, but the website was filled with comments from other people just like me who had such fond memories of their special song. Oh, so heartwarming. They are available on CD these days. How exciting!

So I ordered them for Cora and Jane (they have a huge assortment of names! I couldn't believe they had Cora.) Unfortunately, both Cora and Jane claim to "hate" them. They get embarrassed hearing their name in a song! What is wrong with them?! I thought it was the coolest thing when I got mine. I honestly felt that it was recorded just for me.

I think they secretly like their songs, but don't want to give me the satisfaction of admitting it.
Either way, I am going to play them for the rest of my life every year on their birthday. I'm sure they'll wind up ordering them for their kids one day. Maybe I should buy a bunch now and have them name their children according to what name songs I have in my collection. Now there's an idea!

1 comment:

  1. My mom was always singing happy birthday at 5 in the moring! Your girls will remeber it foldly about 20 years from now. LOL ;)

    ReplyDelete