Saturday, November 19, 2011

Tidbits


Hi. Get set for a mishmash of Shan-related info.

Is it just me, or is Christmas in a bigger hurry this year than ever before? Don't read me wrong, I enjoy Christmastime. But it's not time yet. About a week ago I innocently walked into a store, only to hear "Feliz Navidad" playing. What the...? Our Halloween candy isn't even gone yet!
I'm careful to avoid Lite 108 on the rare occasion I'm listening to the radio. They started playing nonstop Christmas tunes just a little too soon. I sidestep the rows of holiday merchandise everywhere I turn. I avert my eyes; it just feels wrong to look at it yet. Thanksgiving will be over soon enough. Then, and only then, I'll catch the Christmas spirit.

Last week I took Jane to look for shoes. One of our stops was Ross Dress for Less. Winding our way through rows of random clothes, Jane commented, "For some reason Ross reminds me of D.I." =)

One of my goals this year was to expand my Halloween decoration collection, which was embarrassingly slim. I planned to hit the stores after Halloween to rustle up some good clearance. I didn't have much luck anywhere except Kohl's. They had some really cute stuff that was right up my alley.


Nothing says Halloween like a jovial jack-o-lantern. The one on the left looks like it says 'meats'. It's actually 'treats'. That little guy on the right has a flickering, battery-operated candle inside. So homey.

This is the cutest night light I've ever seen! I can hardly wait until next October to get it out and let it shine.


I like to sift through the clearance jewelry at Fred Meyer whenever I get the chance. I can usually find something cute and quite cheap!

I got these earrings for under $2. They reminded me of some my friend (Joanna) was wearing when I saw her last summer. I liked them a lot, so I was pumped to happen upon something similar at Freddy's.


I picked up some lunch bags at Target today.

At first glance, I thought, whoever designed the packaging should've just cut the sentimental crap and put "Packed with lunch", because that's what will actually fill the sacks. After I bothered to take the picture, it occurred to me that the bags' touted features sound like some kind of sick personal ad. =) Shame on you, Target marketing!


Speaking of Target, I've often wondered why they don't have any music playing over the speaker system. I typically feel out of place in a quiet store. I like to have something to quietly sing along to as I shop. I may have figured out why Target doesn't do it. You know when one of your favorite songs starts playing, one you haven't heard in a really long time, and you're happily singing along, anticipating the chorus, and then some jerk gets on the microphone to announce what specials are going on, RIGHT in the middle of the best part? I know what it's like. It induces rage. I think Target realizes this, and that is why they choose to have silence be their shoppers' companion.

Speaking of shopping, is it weird that my right shoulder is physically incapable of keeping a purse on it? My left shoulder holds one just fine, but I've tried to put one on the other, and it just slides right off. Is it the same for everyone? Maybe it's just psychological. I'm not used to it, it feels weird, and my brain tells my shoulder to reject the purse.


My sweet little Superman. He wears this so much, I have a hard time recognizing him in normal clothes.


On a recent weekend, cousin Malory slept over at our house. The girls got up in the morning and decided to dress up in goofy outfits. I have no idea where they get ideas like this. ;)

Mal, Cora and (not wanting to be left out of the picture) Oliver.



Jane is a drawing machine! I really hope she keeps it up. She loves it and always puts so much care into her work.

She's always coming up with cute ideas.

And she likes making living room forts...

The tough part is knowing when it's time to take it apart and put the couch back together.



Uh-oh...
My sprinkle shelf is bursting at the seams. Yes, all the bottles from the front of the cupboard to the back of the Lazy Suzan are sprinkles. I do believe my collection has grown. I think it's about time to reorganize. Or bake cookies and drape them with my sugar shapes.


On November 1, I had a hair appointment. I wanted to switch things up a little, so I went darker. I should have taken a picture beforehand, cause it's kind of hard to tell what's different without anything to compare it to. Just take my word for it; it's darker than it was. I think it had faded considerably before I took pictures, but oh well.


The bangs are back in town. For now. They're to mask my saggy, aging forehead. Okay, it's not too saggy, but there is some obvious wear and tear.
I'm enjoying the change. Even though I thought I hated myself with bangs. They're long enough to wear swept to the side if I so desire.

I couldn't decide which one picture most appropriately portrayed my bangs, so I included a few. It's funny how they look different in every shot. Tricky bangs.

Bangs in the living room.


Bangs in the car.


Bangs in the backyard.

Get the picture? I have dang bangs.

The gal who did my hair is one of those people who calls everyone "love". It's a little uncomfortable, but in a strange way it's comforting to have someone I don't know address me as though my name was Love. I wonder what it takes to become one of "those" people. How does it happen? At what point in a person's life does he or she begin using terms of endearment as substitutes for any old someone's given name? I wonder if there have been any studies on such people. Like the waitress or cashier who calls unfamiliar faces "babe", "darlin'" or "hon". I bet they're pretty happy and confident. It's funny to imagine myself or any of my friends or family doing that. Maybe I'll try it. But would people know I was just pretending to be that kind of person?

Okay, that's enough of my rambling for now.

Have a happy day, doll face.

6 comments:

  1. I just got a bottle of Mickey Mouse Christmas sprinkles for cookies this year. It made me think of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like to call girls I know, "Sister" or younger girls I know, "Chica". But when I was a teacher and I called my girl students, "chica" some got offended because they were not of Latin descent! I think you pick a name you like and then just start it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this blog! I am going to make a random thought blog. Of course I never write in my regular one so why would that be any different? Nice blog though!
    Jennifer B

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many thoughts. First, I'm blasting 107.9 non-stop. I for one wish that there was a longer Christmas season. I think what we need to do is push Christmas into the end of January/ early February so there would be more time after Thanksgiving to celebrate it without knocking Thanksgiving out and also, it would brighten up winter. Everything feels so drab once all the Christmas lights are taken down and the magic is replaced by 2-3 months of dark and cold. Also, I love your bangs and dark hair! And as far as the pet names. . . I think people do that so they don't have to remember names. Last night we were at a shop and a lady younger than my mom kept calling her sweetie. It was so funny to hear my mom called sweetie. You should call her that next time you see her!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i like the bangs and dark hair--looks great. i had a weird impulse to go blonde. why not, right? c'mon, joanna, live a little.

    great blog! and definitely the cutest on the block.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you look great with bangs, Shannon. :) Been contemplating them myself.....

    ReplyDelete