Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Oregonian Vacation, Day 4

Day 4 was just dandy.

We drove to an old shipwreck not too far away. I can't remember the name of the place, and I don't feel like looking it up, so just enjoy the two neat photos I took of it. I believe it ran aground sometime shortly after 1900.





Our next destination was the lovely Astoria. I sure liked all the old houses.

The pink trim on this one was brighter in real life.
I didn't take any other house pics since I was distracted by the super steep streets marked with "dangerous intersection" signs.

We went to the Astoria Column. I hadn't ever heard of it before, but my stepdad, who knows all when it comes to the Oregon Coast, recommended it to us.

Here's Ryan's head next to it.


We thought it was remarkable.

We climbed the 164 steps to the tippy-top.

It was a pretty difficult feat for a lazy bones like me. I would have been toast if not for the handrails. All the climbing and winding around was slowly but surely doing me in.

But the view from above was worth the work.

The views were stunning.


Here . . .


There . . .

And every which way. (I bet you thought I was going to say "everywhere".)




We didn't know about this until we were at the top, but at the little office/gift shop at the bottom they offer little wooden gliders that you can throw from way up there. Other people had some, but noticing that we had none Oliver piped up, "I want an airplane!" Some guy heard him and gave him one. What a nice thing to do. He let it loose and we all watched as it silently soared through the sky for a minute or two. It ended up landing somewhere we couldn't see. It was pretty cool, and a fun idea.


Next stop was Cannon Beach. When we got there we ate at a place called Lumberyard Rotisserie & Grill. It was pretty good.

Then we parked somewhere and followed our senses to the beach. What a beautiful place to behold.




It was a bit nippy by this time of day.

Some chap observed me taking the above picture and offered to take one with me in it. Since he assumed I was part of the family.

So that was nice.

We walked and watched the waves for a while, then traipsed to our car so we could go back to the hotel for some resting up.

We saw these flowers on our way down the street.

Ryan and the girls hung out at the hotel while Oliver and Mommy went out to play.

We had gotten this Batman glider for him the day we got to Seaside.

We walked down the beach again. I wanted to go past the Seaside Aquarium to see what time it opened the next morning, but all Oliver wanted to do was fling himself in the sand.

He noticed this sand hole and kept falling into it for fun.

I eventually got my way and accomplished my mission before we returned to the hotel to do whatever else we did that night. Probably more Disney Channel.

No comments:

Post a Comment