Saturday, September 1, 2012

Cooking Class

We have sampled some tasty food lately, thanks to Ryan's sister's husband Eric. He loves to cook, and he's great at it. Eric and Jackie (Ryan's sister) decided to teach cooking classes on selected summer weekend evenings.

The instruction has mostly taken place at Ryan's parents' house since that's where Eric and Jackie are currently living.

One class was held at our house. That night was all about eggs.


Eric doing some prep work. Jade Welch (Ryan's cousin) also unknowingly pictured.




Shealyn (Ryan's niece) seated at the counter.



Eric showed us how to make omelets; how to poach eggs; how to scramble eggs, etc.


Eggs Benedict. Yummy! Hope I'm not making anyone hungry. =)


Below is another pleasing plate of food from another night.

Steak, baked beans, and roasted veggies.


I think the highlight of all the cooking classes for me has been the scrumptious salads we've had.
Here's one...

Not only does Eric make things taste delicious, he makes them look mighty impressive. I didn't take pictures at each class. . . I should have. One of the first classes we had, he made this amazing Asian salad, soup, and pork tenderloin. Oh geesh, I'm drooling. If I had a picture of it right now I'd probably try to eat it up.

I feel like I've learned some things. I learned how to properly chop veggies and how to choose a steak. What I learned the most is that I wish Eric would just come over and be our personal chef. He's so good at multi-tasking. If I try and cook more than two things at a time, something will inevitably suffer. I'm not a good cook. I can't think of anything I make that is honestly tasty. My poor family. After learning a thing or two from Eric, I'm potentially more brave about what I'll attempt to cook now. If I could just put together a menu. And have everyone in the house like what I pick to make.

Ugh, food. I love it, but I don't enjoy how much time, effort, and money it takes to keep a family fed. It would be so handy if people only had to eat once a day and would stay nice and full. I know our bodies need fairly frequent fuel to keep going and all that, but wouldn't it be nice if most of the day - every day- didn't have to be spent thinking about and planning for the next meal? That being said, I am VERY thankful for food and the fact that I have never had to go without.

Maybe my next class should be on how to make decisions.

Oof. It's almost time for dinner and I don't know what it will be.



No comments:

Post a Comment