Tuesday, October 9, 2012

I'm in the HOT choir!

HOT choir: Its members meet twice weekly within the confines of a spacious sauna (it's a big group) dressed in jewel toned turtlenecks, black slacks, and recycled choir robes. They sing crisp harmonies intensified by the stifling moist air, accompanied only by their own faint hand clappings. They sweat out their cares, cleansing their clotted pores in lilting unison, sharing together the joys of vocal expression and perspiration. It's a beautiful experience. Everyone with a voice and a heart should try HOT choir.

I have to confess ... most of the above paragraph was made up. All except the words 'HOT' and 'choir'. The truth is, 'HOT' is an acronym for Hymns of Thanksgiving. It's a non-denominational community choir (and orchestra) that performs a program of inspiring music each year at the CenturyLink Arena the Sunday before Thanksgiving. The truth is, I get to participate in it! In this, its10th year, I finally remembered to sign up before it was too late. Yay! It helps that my friend Judy is one of the section leaders for the 2nd altos. She told me to put her name down as a reference, and it worked like a charm. =)

The rehearsals are biweekly, another fact among my fictitious first paragraph. Sunday and Thursday evenings at Borah High (Ryan's alma mater). It's a colossal choir, like a couple hundred people. It's so fun being a part of such a large, lovely sound. As an added bonus, it's dotted with familiar folks from my past; one of my seminary teachers, a bunch of former Capital High goers, etc. I love choirs! (I should specify, good choirs.)

So, mark your calendars for a sure-to-be HOT evening of grateful song, November 18th, 7:30 sharp. Or if you don't want to go out in public on a cold, dark night, I believe the program will be televised. I don't know those deets yet. Stay tuned.

Hooray for choir!


2 comments:

  1. I'll have to join one of these years. I hope you have a fantastic time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the same day as the Temple Dedication. Busy day for you, but I am a little jealous. Have a great time. Maybe we will go out and support you there.

    ReplyDelete