Friday, October 1, 2010

Beautiful Balloons

It's driving me nuts that I am so behind on my posts. I have several things I want to write about, but keep not making the time to do it. I would do another big post to sum up September, but I think I'm going to do a few smaller posts for a change. Enough blathering. Here's the next thing in line.

I was so pumped up for the Spirit of Boise Balloon Classic! It took place the weekend of my birthday. (My B-day was on Friday, the 3rd- I failed to mention that in my previous post.)

I have always loved hot air balloons. When I was growing up, I remember waking up a time or ten to the sound of one or more of them floating above our house. I love that unmistakable sound- that low, heavy "breathing" the balloons do. We were lucky to live above the fairgrounds, the spot from where balloons often took off.

I really wanted to make it to Ann Morrison Park this year for one of the massive morning launches, but it just didn't happen. 7:00 is just so... early. Since Cora and Jane spent Friday night (the 3rd) over at Ryan's mom's and were still there most of the day Saturday, I had planned on waking Ollie up early and going together. I overslept, of course. Sleep and I have a love-hate relationship. I love sleeping, but I don't love getting up.

Ryan went to work and I got Ollie up by about 8:30 so we could hop in the van and go balloon chasing. I figured there had to be some left out there, somewhere. We made our way to Chinden, and at first it didn't look promising. Then as I continued down the road a bit, I spotted one in the distance. Yay! Not knowing exactly which way I should go to chase it down, we wove northward back to State Street. By the time we turned onto State, the balloon was nowhere in sight. We continued on for about a mile, then I looked over and there it was! It had landed in a field. There was a small crowd gathered around. I pulled over, parked, and we vacated the van to get a closer look. It was my lucky day. Sure, I'd missed seeing a large assortment of them since I couldn't get it together to go early to the park, but I was glad to see this one pretty balloon.


I think they were giving people"rides", but I'm not sure. I was too shy to get up in their faces about it. I don't think Ollie would have gotten in it anyway. He liked looking at it from where we were standing. They had it tethered to the ground by way of a strap wrapped around some big, important-looking guy.

Ollie in awe.


We had plans to go to the glowing balloon event at the park later that evening. Ryan and I met up at his parents' after he got off work to collect the girls and go down there. We didn't get out of there until about an hour before it started. When we were trying to leave, Ryan's sister's family arrived in the driveway from Puyallup, Washington. We knew they were coming that evening, but didn't know when to expect them. We greeted them and after a few minutes decided to take their 4-year-old to the park with us. That worked out well. He (Ethan) and Oliver had a blast running around crazy together.

We parked up the hill and walked down and into the park. When we found a spot to sit, I left Ryan with the boys while the girls and I went to go get some snacks. The concession lines were probably a quarter of a mile long each. We found Ryan's other sisters in line already and gave them money to get us some nachos and fries. I was surprised that the only other familiar face I saw that night was Mrs. Schmidt (choir teacher). I said hi and introduced her to the girls. I bet it's strange for her to see former students with big kids. I hope it doesn't make her feel too old.

Whenever I'm in a crowded public setting I have to wonder how many people see me, recognize me, and then hide behind the nearest tree.


By the time we sat back down, it was almost time for the balloons to fire up.


Oh so pretty.



The boys clapped their little hands raw. Okay, maybe not raw.


Ollie is on the left, if the shaggy locks weren't clue enough.



When the show was nearing its conclusion, Ryan's sister called my phone so I could come get our snacks. So I walked over to the left end (as pictured) of the balloons to collect the food. Mmmm, cold nachos and fries. Actually, I was starving, so they tasted pretty good to me. I went back over to my fam to share the grub, which was gone in an instant. Next time we'll bring our own food or get there a lot earlier to load up!


It was a nice night to see some beautiful balloons.
Next time I'm going to see the morning launch if it's the last thing I do...

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like it was a great time!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't even know about that glow festival. How fun!!! I definitely want to hit that up next year. A balloon flew over our place the other morning and landed at the church. Did you see it? Then the next morning 3 more came right over our house again really low and we thought they were going to land in the neighbors yard but no luck. They are definitely very fascinating.

    ReplyDelete