Friday, March 11, 2011

Fancy Pants

My street clothes are nothing fancy-- jeans, solid-colored or conservatively patterned shirts and the same lame flats, day after day. I just don't have the guts or the desire (or the right) to wear anything flashy. Or anywhere to wear such things.

And yet I have an expanding collection of "fancy pants". Why, oh why? Because I like them! I wouldn't dare wear them on a trip to the grocery store. Not by myself, at least. I can think of a few people who might be willing to join me for a stroll downtown wearing funny clothes. Silliness does love company. Actually, I don't think I'd look too out of place at Walmart in any of my special pants, even on my own. I've seen some really choice outfits roaming the aisles there. Maybe if I wore them out and about someone would take a picture of me and post it on Facebook. Someone who has thousands of Facebook friends. Then I could be infamous! Just think of it!

I find fancy pants at thrift stores or even the mall, and I can't "seam" to help but make them mine, never knowing when or why or if I might wear them, but just knowing that I mustn't "slack" and leave them "behind". (No puns ever intended.)

Fancy Pants, Exhibit A:

Found: At Goodwill. $3. I was so excited when I tried them on and they fit so nicely. Woo!

Another angle of the same wild slacks. I like their velvety sheen.


Let me introduce the next pair. I spied these babies at Savers about a year and a half ago. Possibly the best $5 I've ever spent. I can't believe someone donated these! It must have been a dreadful mix-up.

I don't quite know what to call them. Pantaloons? Bloomers? How about fancy pants? The real question is: Could I start a new fashion craze with these things?



For some reason Big Bird comes to mind when I look at this picture. Or maybe a distant cousin of his.


I have a few sets of treats-covered pajamas. One I already posted last year sometime, and the others are not pictured. Now I'm kind of sad I didn't include them. But I guess they belong in the "cute pants" category more than "fancy pants" one.

I bought these for Cora, but they were too big for her. Just my luck! I wonder what would happen if I wore these to church under a dress. Well, I doubt anyone would say anything directly to me about them, but I reckon it would get people talking about me.



Careful, the next ones are bright!


Insert sunglasses....

Aaaaaaaaand....


Ta-da!

These caught my eye a month or so ago at Wet Seal in the mall. A few dollars later and I was the proud owner. I told the cashier I was getting them for my sister. Mostly because I think the gal realized I'm too old to be caught wearing metallic leggings, let alone to be browsing the racks of Wet Seal. Why do I care so much what people think of me? I should be comfortable doing what I want, without feeling the need to fib my way through a transaction. I did think briefly of gifting them to Megan (said sister) , but I just couldn't stand the thought of giving them away. I might need them for something, someday. And Meg can always borrow them if she really wants to.


Many apologies for the rear view, "butt" I felt it was necessary in portraying the seriousness of these pants.


Last but not least, and probably my favorite, my black-and-white-checked bloomers. I regularly wear them as pajama pants. They are so comfy and I like them lots.

I got these at Goodwill for, if I recall correctly, $2. I think they're adorable. They were lovingly handmade by someone. (I would assume they weren't sewn with wrath.) I know this because they don't have any tags attached. Anyway, I am set if and when bloomers make a comeback.

I hope I can find ways to make use of all my fancy pants.

3 comments:

  1. Those are indeed fancy pants! Maybe you should have a fancy pants party?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm impressed that you would purposely post a picture of your behind on the internet. Truly inspiring.
    Those first ones are certainly something special. We should dress up and go see one of Megan's shows. At least we know she would appreciate the effort. Plus it's usually pretty dark in there. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like Michelle's idea! A Fancy Pants Party, and no one is admitted w/o a pair of said pants. Pictures will be a must! If I lived in Boise, I'd come. :) Well, assuming you invited me. You should really wear the gold ones on a date night, with hoochie-mama earrings and platform shoes. And BIG hair. I triple-dog dare you!

    ReplyDelete