Sunday, March 20, 2011

Thoughts

I feel bad that I post about such trivial things when so many people of the world are going through hell. There have been so many heartbreaking events in recent news.

There was the Pennsylvania family whose house caught fire, killing 7 of their 8 children. How does a mother continue to live after that?

There was the Meridian attorney who was shot to death, leaving behind a wife and 5 kids, not to mention the beginning of his career. I "heard" some of the "reasons" that drove the shooter to kill the attorney. In my mind, there is no good reason to purposely take the life of another. What a horrible event that is affecting the lives of many.

And of course there was the monumental natural disaster in Japan.

I feel guilty about my own safety and health. Grateful, but guilty. I can try to imagine the magnitude of what happened in Japan, but since I'm not there and I don't know anybody over there I will never be able to comprehend the anguish of the survivors. The physical destruction, along with the thousands of lives washed away is unreal, and I don't know how they'll even begin to pick up the pieces. It's so sad.

A few Sundays ago in Relief Society, our closing hymn was "Be Still, My Soul". This song has special significance to me. A few months after my dad died, a stake choir I was in began singing it. I'd heard it countless times before, but that evening was the first time it really meant something to me. The words and melody struck me to the core. Since then, every time I've heard that hymn and tried to sing along, those feelings come rushing back, and I have to fight back the tears so nobody will see (because I know if anyone sees and asks me if I'm okay it will only induce more tears).

"Be still. my soul: The Lord is on thy side;
With patience bear thy cross of grief or pain.
Leave to thy God to order and provide;
In ev'ry change he faithful will remain.
Be still, my soul: Thy best, thy heav'nly Friend
Thru thorny ways leads to a joyful end."

"Be still, my soul: Thy God doth undertake
To guide the future as he has the past.
Thy hope, thy confidence let nothing shake;
All now mysterious shall be bright at last.
Be still, my soul: The waves and winds still know
His voice who ruled them while he dwelt below."

"Be still, my soul: The hour is hast'ning on
When we shall be forever with the Lord,
When disappointment, grief and fear are gone,
Sorrow forgot, love's purest joys restored.
Be still, my soul: When change and tears are past,
All safe and blessed we shall meet at last."

The third verse is the one I can't get through without crying. It's just so beautiful. It makes me think of seeing my dad again, who I miss so much, and just fills me with hope that my sorrows, and every other human's sorrows, will one day be in the past. It doesn't seem possible, but yet I hope for it.

I would like to dedicate "Be Still, My Soul" to everyone in the world. Love, Shannon

4 comments:

  1. I know what you mean. I have been so sick that I feel like I haven't given much thought to the plight of others lately and the suffering that is going on around us. I love that song as well. Thank you for bringing it more fully to my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the same thing with "Abide With Me".

    ReplyDelete
  3. sometimes reading the 'trivial' things of someone else helps people get through their own tough times. it's a moment to escape.

    thank you for posting the words to that song and what it means to you. i needed to read them.

    ReplyDelete