Monday, April 16, 2012

Front Room Pics

So, I finished decorating our front room a few days ago. I'm sure everyone's been on pins and needles wondering if I was done yet.
::
crickets chirping
::

After a few weeks of trolling the city, gathering lamps and wall hangings and other trinkets, I picked a paint color and soon found myself spreading it all over the walls and ceiling until the space was sufficiently saturated. The painting occurred the day before Easter, and the days immediately following Easter, I painted some furniture that happened to be lying around in our garage. A week after I painted the room, I dragged everything in and carefully arranged it.

Here's what I started with. Drab brown walls and a yellow ceiling. Nothing says home like the sweet hues of sewage. . .


After days of staring at samples I'd spread in this corner, I thought maybe I should just go for a patchwork technique. It could be the start of a new craze in the interior decor world.



Here's a look at the room after I got my hands on it . . .





I'm not ashamed to say I love Ross Dress For Less. The old TV commercial took the words right out of my mouth. "I love it- I got it at Ross!" I kept finding thing after lovely thing there on my recent searches.
That's where I got this lamp. I love it! You can't beat their prices, either. Twenty-one bucks for an entire lamp? Heck yes!

I like this globe from Hobby Lobby. A lot.


This bookcase was a hand-me-down from my mom. It was beat up in places, so I painted it a darker brown and decided to offset that with cream on the back of the shelves. I hoped it would look as good in real life as it did in my head, and I personally think it does. It makes the stuff sitting on the shelves stand out better, and it brightens the overall look. I should have taken a picture of it before I filled it up. I guess you get the idea.

Here's a picture of the mirror to the left of the bookshelf. I took it just to be annoying, 'cause it bugs me when people take pictures of themselves in mirrors with the camera showing. There are better, less tacky ways to photograph oneself. But along with acting like a teenybopper, this pic proves that it's my house, and not a series of stock photos from my pal Google. ;)


This sits underneath the mirror and serves as a home for our piano books.


I ordered this neato poster online for $5 and bought the frame at Hobby Lobby.


This is one of the end tables I painted to coordinate with the bookcase. It was really ugly before.



The chairs were the first things I got for the room. At Ross, of all places. I planned the whole room around them.

I like the shape and fabric.

I selected these sheer curtains online at Kmart. I love the diamond pattern. It reminds me of my favorite kind of windows. Those ones with the diamond patterned glass.


I got this nifty lamp at Lowe's.





That weird glare on the wall to the right of the piano is the light reflecting off the nearby mirror.

I'm still trying to decide if I want to put something in the big blue vase.


I found this framed picture of antique hot air balloons at Ross. Yay! If anyone knows me, they know I have a thing for hot air balloons. How cool would it be if they still looked like that?

This table is one I got at a thrift store last year for cheap. It also received a much needed painting treatment. Perched on top is a photo of Grandma and Grandpa McCaleb.

And last but not least, probably my favorite part of the room. . .

The ceiling!
Doesn't it look so much better when it's not yellow?

Welp, that's it!


5 comments:

  1. I think you should leave the blue vase as is. But then again, I'm not one to talk as I have lived in my house for almost 6 years and we have yet to put anything on the walls! Fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I guess it is time for another visit! I am really jealous. It is beautiful. If I ever work on my house, I will make you my personal shopper.
    Even the ceiling turned out stunning. Good pick on the paint. I bet it matches the rest of the house just perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it all! You are truly amazing. I envy your decorating and painting abilities. I also envy you for your beautiful room. I have a lot of envy......I should work on that....you know, getting rid of it. You will have to come take care of my living room I guess! ha !

    ReplyDelete
  4. i like the color you chose. i LOVE that bookscase. all of it from the paint to way you organized the things living on the shelves. those inspiration chairs are the bomb! great shape. love the lowes lamp! i say leave the blue vase empty. very cool ceiling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Out of everyone who has seen the room, I think you are the first one to say anything about the bookshelf specifically. I'm pretty pleased with it too. Great minds think alike, eh?

      Delete