Sunday, April 22, 2012

Miscellaneous

Isn't it funny how everything's better when the weather is perfect?

We hosted family dinner at our house tonight. It's fun having a bunch of loved ones over to eat and hang out. I almost feel like a real grown-up.

Ever since I destroyed the closing hymn in Relief Society on Easter Sunday, I've taken to actually practicing the songs before Sunday, not just quickly running through a tricky song, crossing my fingers, and hoping for the best. I worked hard getting one right for last week, and again this week, but today we ran out of time, and the gal conducting the meeting nixed the closing hymn altogether. It was because she wanted to add her two cents to the concluded lesson. Which would have been fine and dandy, but I could tell the chorister was bummed because she'd carefully selected the perfect song for the topic of repentance. I wonder what would have happened if I'd gone ahead and started playing the song when it was time to end. It happens all the time on award shows.

I'm getting back on track with my goals. Renee and Maria came over for lunch on Wednesday to make an official start to our goals for the month, even though it's practically over. Since we'd all been slacking off in varying degrees, we'll keep these goals for the remainder of this month and extend them through May. Mine are the same as last month, with the following modifications:
Last month: Exercise 6 days/week, 20 min/day.
This month: Exercise 5 days/week, 20 min/day.
Last month: Go to sleep by 11:30 on nights I'm home.
This month: Go to sleep by midnight when I'm home.
The scripture goal remains the same, to read at least one verse each day. (No one can read just one!)
Yeah, so it may seem like I'm backpedaling a bit with two of my original aspirations. It doesn't mean I won't ever go to bed before midnight. It's just a limit so I don't ever decide to stay up until 1:00 trying to finish a blog post that really isn't urgent.
If my bedtime and exercise goals seem wimpy, the magnitude of a "new" goal I've added makes up for those, and then some. It's a next to impossible feat. Here is an excerpt from the email I sent to Renee and Maria:
"I want to try and make myself think before I say things, especially when I'm angry. I've never really applied that 'count to 10 slowly' method, and I really think I should. I am so defensive and have such a short fuse. And I want to stop yelling in traffic when the car in front of me isn't going fast enough. This one will be tough for me, but I think it's about time I exercised some self control. When my kids start sounding like me, I know it's time to change!!!"

I've always been pretty easily provoked, and over the years I've tried and failed to change. Is it really possible to become more easy going and agreeable? Even when I was super churchy and doing "everything right", I've never been able to tame my temper. I don't like being so quick to anger. It doesn't seem fair that some people are born with such natural patience, when others of us just cannot seem to kick the habit. I have the utmost respect and admiration for people who can keep their cool. Is it easy for them, or are they just good at pretending? Has anyone ever heard of a person who "used to" have a hot head? Is it really something that can be overcome?
I dunno, but I'm gonna give it another try. . .

In semi related news, I've been successful in discontinuing a couple of ill-advised habits. One of them I haven't done in about 24 days, and the other one, 53 days. I almost forgot what it feels like to occasionally practice some self control. Little by little, I'm working on putting off the natural woman. I still have other weaknesses that should be eliminated, but in general I feel like my ability to divert attention from pointless and/or obsessive tendencies has increased. It helps when I'm busy with household projects and enjoying beautiful spring weather.

The end of January I started the Body by Vi "health challenge". Some friends of ours started promoting it, and they were having great success, shedding weight left and right. Since I'd "been sitting around like a bump on a log since the half marathon" over a year and a half ago, and I wasn't "doing anything to avoid letting myself go", I thought I might as well give it a shot, along with beginning consistent workouts again. The challenge I chose consisted of meal replacement shakes. Every day for breakfast and lunch, I had a shake. In a way it was kind of nice, since I could blend fruits and other flavoring agents in with the shake mix. In other ways, I really missed lunch. It's meant to be a 90-day challenge, but I only did 60 days. My intent was not necessarily to lose pounds, but to just become more fit. During that time, I lost a whopping two pounds. I like to think that I put on bunches of muscle to offset the overall weight loss. It's tough to know for sure, but I do think my biceps are more defined, and are starting to look less like "flabby, 50-year-old arms". Also, I think I've noticed some muscle tone happening with my abs and calves. I think it may be more a result of doing Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred than a result of the meal replacements. By the end of 60-ish days, I was really ready to be done drinking the shakes. I get sick of the same stuff all the time, and it was pretty easy in the morning, but like I said, I like lunch. When I'm hungry, I don't crave sweet things. I want savory.

Speaking of lunch, I heard five more songs to add to my list. =)
1. "That boy took my (lunch) away. Oh, he'll regret it someday." ("This Boy", The Beatles)
2. "There was (lunch) all around, but I never heard it singing, no I never heard it at all, till there was you."
3. "That's what (lunch) is for, to help us through it
That's what (lunch) is for, nothing else can do it.
Melt our defenses, bring us back to our senses
Give us strength to try once more, baby, that's what (lunch) is for." (Amy Grant)
4. "Oh, girl... I'd be in trouble if you left me now. 'Cause I don't know where to look for (lunch), I just don't know how." (Chi-Lites)
5. "And long after I've gone, you'll still be humming along and I will keep you in my mind, the way you make (lunch) so fine." (Plain White T's)


Grandpa McCaleb turned 95 on the April 7th. I sent him some homemade cookies. The last time my sisters and I were in Arizona, we went over to see him. He didn't seem to remember who we were. =( He was so frail and kept dozing off while we were trying unsuccessfully to carry on a conversation with him. That was 2 years ago, and I can imagine he's only digressed since then. All I can say is I hope I don't live to see 90. I mean no disrespect, but by that point in life all there is to do is . . . well, not a whole lot.

I finally finished reading the Hunger Games trilogy. Once I got past a slow patch in the first third of the book, I got more into it. It was good, even though it took me about a month to get all the way through it. I guess I had too many things going on. Now it'll probably be a while before I start another book.

I guess that's enough randomness for one post.

I hope everyone's enjoying the all-encompassing splendor of spring!

1 comment:

  1. i admire you and your goals. it's also nice to know i'm not the only one that' quick to anger and feels so hard to control.

    ReplyDelete