Thursday, June 28, 2012

Robert Carroll McCaleb, 1917- 2012

My grandpa passed away last night. He was 95. What a long time to live. But what a full life he had. His wonderful wife, my grandma, preceded him in death by ten years. I don't know how people "find" each other in heaven, but I believe they are together now. They with their son, my dad. And their daughter who died as a newborn. And everyone else they knew and loved who left this earth before them. I would love to have a real glimpse of what heavenly reunions are like. Think of all the great-great uncles and aunties you might get to meet. I hope they let you greet the people you actually know first. ;)

Here's a picture of my grandfather, aka Bob.



Wasn't he a handsome young fellow?

My uncle Gary posted this picture on Facebook and included these words:
"Seventy years later, this trooper went home to his Lord. Dad slipped away about 9:30 p.m. Wednesday night; the weathered shell of what he once was released him to be who he truly is in Christ. More to say in due time, but no dad could have been a finer man or better mentor than this man who taught me duty, honor, God, and country through word spoken, deed done, and blood shed. Rest in Peace, dad.
"
Well said, Gary.


I didn't know him as well as I could have. My grandparents lived in Arizona, so I only got to see them maybe once a year. I always thought he was a cute old man with an unmistakably good heart. He was artistic. Serious and hard-working. Forever telling war stories. Devoted, generous, and strong.

Erin, Gavin, Megan and I will be at his graveside service in Arizona the end of next week. It may be the last time any of us has reason to go to Arizona. =( My whole life, all the visits there have been to see my dad and grandparents. And now they have all moved on to the other side.
I miss them.

Grandpa will be missed. The grandpa I knew as a child has been "gone" for the last several years. His memory had mostly deteriorated, and he could no longer carry on a coherent conversation. It probably didn't help that his hearing was next to none. It's sad not knowing when we'll get to see him again, but it's a comfort to know that he is now free from the physical and mental limitations that he had been experiencing. He must feel so energized and, for lack of a better word, alive.

Farewell, Grandpa McCaleb . . . 'til we meet again.

No comments:

Post a Comment