Tuesday, October 4, 2011

September Sampler

September was a busy month. I can't believe it went so fast. Sorry, no pictures this post. I'm getting lazy in my old age. Also, I'm not bothering to verify exact dates that events happened for this post. I figure that mentioning approximately when something occurred is specific enough.

Here's some of September, in random order.

-The girls' other hamster, Cuddles, passed away. =( Less than 4 months after Missy did. It wasn't as hard letting this one go because she really seemed ill. I think it will be a while before the girls start wanting another pet.

-The last Tuesday of the month, our ward had a Relief Society meeting. My suspicions were correct- it was a visiting teaching conference in disguise. That's okay. It turned out to be a really good evening. I had been asked to sing "As Sisters in Zion" with another lady as part of the program. I was so nervous to sing in front of everyone. I was shaking quite a bit when I stood up, so I had some vibrato that usually isn't there. Ugh. I was trying to calm down, but it didn't work. The rest of the sisters joined in (as directed) for the last verse. When I heard everyone singing so beautifully, I lost it. I couldn't keep from crying, which meant I could no longer sing. What a sap. But I really felt the warmth of the spirit. Music touches me in a way mere words can't. And I've always been a fan of Relief Society. No matter what's going on in my life, I love R.S.

-Cora started playing viola in her school's orchestra. I think it frustrates her to not be automatically good at it. She likes to excel at everything she does, and she feels like she isn't doing well enough at this. I know she'll do well if she keeps at it!

-The middle weekend of the month, we went to Lagoon with most of Ryan's family. I'm happy to report I didn't take a single picture. They never turn out very well there, and I didn't want to worry about toting a camera around. We had the best time with the kids this trip. Oliver was SO EXCITED about the rides. Last year, he was still a little "I-don't-know-what-to-think-of-this", but he's reached the age where he can really enjoy it. The moment we'd step off of any ride, he'd clasp his hands in front of him, pretty-please style, and scream, "Can we go again?" He loved all the rides, but I think his fave was the new roller coaster near the kids' section. It was a very fun day for everyone. It was supposed to rain while we were in the park, but it didn't. It did, however, decide to literally dump upon us the night before as we slept in tents at the Lagoon campground. Only the edges of the tent got wet, and we were all up on air mattresses. It was a relatively warm night, so it wasn't too bad. I did have a hard time staying asleep because it was really loud rain, and according to my calculations it continued the entire night. But it was worth it.

-We have a "new" vehicle. Sorry to anyone who wanted to say a personal goodbye to our periwinkle minivan. It's gone. Long gone... One mid-morning I went to test drive an '05 Chrysler Pacifica at Peterson Stampede. It was a really good deal I'd discovered online. I'd been doing some studying up on possible vehicle choices, and had it narrowed down to two faves. One was the Pacifica. And this one was a pretty blue/green. Well, I drove it, liked it lots, called Ryan, then I went ahead and bought it. We'd been saving up and had enough to pay cash for it. We have too much interest as it is with student loans and mortgage, we certainly didn't want more. Don't think it was a really expensive car, because it wasn't. I really like it, and now I don't dread the thought of driving around town. The van was really, really noisy.

-My mom wanted to take pictures of our kids. We set up a time and met her at Kathryn Albertson Park the last Monday of the month. While we were there, we happened upon six deer! They were all hanging out near the bathroom I was trying to take Oliver to. A couple of them darted right past us! We kept watching and waiting for them to disperse so Oliver could go potty. I didn't want to invade their territory. One never knows what wildlife will do. I finally just had Ollie pee behind some tall grasses. Anyway, it was a rare treat seeing deer in a park, and especially so many of them. The kids were fascinated.

I guess September's officially a wrap.

I'm trying to get all caught up on my blog so I can start on a project I keep feeling like I should try. And not just should, but something I've really been wanting to do for a long time, and I think I can do it, but at the same time I've been putting it off because I haven't been calm enough or open-minded enough to give it a good shot. Anyway, if I ever kick myself into submission, I'll let my blog know about it.

Happy October!

No comments:

Post a Comment