Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Silly Lunch Songs

In honor of Valentine's Day, I have compiled a load of syrupy love songs. These are well-known ditties, some old, some newer, but all of them become funny (and yummy!) when the word lunch is used in lieu of the word love. (This really only works when love is a noun.)

Who wants to cry when a sappy song comes on? Not me. I'd rather have a little chuckle as I automatically change it into a lunch song.

This trick never gets old, at least not for me. I learned it from a guy I liked right after high school. I don't want to take the credit for such a brilliant idea. To think of all the giggling I would have missed out on over the last 15 years if I'd never met him. I've mentioned it before in my blog, but only listed a few song examples, so over the last while I've been intently listening for new or forgotten ones to add to my list. If you don't think it's entertaining, I'm very sorry, but pretty much anything that makes me smile this much earns a spot on my blog.

With not much more rambling, I'm going to share my hearty menu of "lunch songs".
(For the sake of time, I'm leaving out quotation marks, and I may or may not list the song title, depending on whether the lyrics within are more relevant than the title alone.)

-You give lunch a bad name. (Bon Jovi)

-Give a little bit of your lunch to me. (Goo Goo Dolls)

-All you need is lunch. (Beatles)

-You've got to hide your lunch away. (Beatles)

-And in the end, the lunch you take is equal to the lunch you make. (Beatles)

-Your lunch is my drug. (Ke$ha - sorry...)

-Lunch is a battlefield. (Pat Benatar)

-Once I had a secret lunch that lived within the heart of me. All too soon my secret lunch became impatient to be free. (Doris Day)

-Fooled around and fell in lunch. (Elvin Bishop)

-Home, where my lunch lies waiting silently for me. (Homeward Bound, Simon&Garfunkel)

-You got the moves that drive me crazy. And on your face I see a trace of lunch. (Rock Me Gently, Neil Diamond)

-When you make lunch, do you look in the mirror? (Love Bites, Def Leppard)

-Lunch Bites. (Def Leppard)

-Reflections of the lunch you took from me. (Diana Ross and the Supremes)

-Just throw me down hard and drown me in lunch. (Come On Get Higher, Matt Nathanson)

-So this is lunch... (Cinderella)

-We found lunch in a hopeless place. (Rihanna)

-Don't throw our lunch away. (Baby Love, The Supremes)

-You ask me if there'll come a time

When I grow tired of you
Never my lunch
Never my lunch

You wonder if this heart of mine
Will lose its desire for you
Never my lunch
Never my lunch

What makes you think lunch will end
When you know that my whole life depends
On you (on you)

Never my lunch
Never my lunch

You say you fear I'll change my mind
And I won't require you
Never my lunch
Never my lunch (The Association)

-So I'm saving all my lunch for you. (Whitney Houston, RIP)

-The greatest lunch of all is easy to achieve. (Whitney Houston)

-As I look back on a lunch so sweet, I cry like a baby. (The Box Tops)

-Lady Willpower, it's now or never. Give your lunch to me. . . One thing you can be sure of, I'll take good care of your lunch, if you will let me give you mine. (Gary Puckett)

-Lunch and marriage, lunch and marriage, go together like a horse and carriage. This I tell ya brother, you can't have one without the other. (Frank Sinatra)

-There's nothing up my sleeve but lunch for you. (Drive By, Train)

-Rock the cradle of lunch. (Billy Idol)

-Might as well face it, you're addicted to lunch. (Robert Palmer)

-Lunch stinks. Yeah, yeah... (that song from Wedding Singer)

-Lunch hurts, lunch scars, lunch wounds, and marks. . . (Nazareth)

-It must have been lunch, but it's over now. (Roxette)

-We did it all for the glory of lunch. (Peter Cetera)

-I need your lunch. God speed your lunch to me. . . Oh my lunch, my darling, I've hungered for your touch a long, lonely time. (Unchained Melody, Righteous Brothers)

-The look of lunch is in your eyes. (Dusty Springfield)

-When we're hungry, lunch will keep us alive. (Eagles)

-Lunch shack! Baby, lunch shack! (B-52's)

-Tainted lunch (Soft Cell)

-You act like you never had lunch, and you want me to go without. (One, U2)

-A hunka, hunka burnin' lunch! (Elvis)

-Traces of lunch long ago that didn't work out right. (The Classics IV)

-I can't give you anything but lunch, baby. That's the only thing I've plenty of, baby. (various jazz artists)

-What the world needs now is lunch, sweet lunch. It's the only thing that there's just too little of. (Jackie DeShannon)

-Lunch is an anger that builds up inside. As the tears of frustration roll down my face, why does lunch always have to turn out this way? (I Wonder Why, Curtis Stigers)

-Endless Lunch (Lionel Richie)

-I'll never trust your lunch again. (John Lee Hooker? I'm not familiar with this song/artist. I stole it from an online love song list.)

-Lunch Takes Time (Mariah Carey)

-Vision of Lunch (Mariah Carey

-Don't make me wait for lunch. (Kenny G with Lenny Williams)

-Lunch Lifted Me (Kenny Rogers)

-Lunch Is Strange (Mickey and Sylvia)

-I'm in the mood for lunch. (Nat King Cole)

-I'm Through With Lunch (Nat King Cole)

-This Can't Be Lunch (Nat King Cole)

-We got a groovy kind of lunch. (Phil Collins)

-I need lunch, lunch, to ease my mind . . . You can't hurry lunch. No, you just have to wait. She said lunch don't come easy, it's a game of give and take. (Phil Collins)

-Share Your Lunch With Me (Kenny Rogers)

-True lunch waits. (Radio Head)

-Lunch gets me every time. (Shania Twain)

-Sowing the seeds of lunch (Tears For Fears)

-How deep is your lunch (Bee Gees)

-We'll be making lunch under the boardwalk. (The Drifters)

Okay! That's about it for now. I'll be pleasantly surprised if anyone "devoured" the whole list. If you did, congrats.

"You'd think that people would have had enough of silly (lunch) songs. But I look around me and I see it isn't so. Some people wanna fill the world with silly (lunch) songs. What's wrong with that?" -Paul McCartney

I don't know about you, but now I want some lunch.

Long live lunch songs. And lunch. And songs. And I suppose love.

Please feel free to share any songs I may have missed! Heck, maybe I'll buy lunch for whoever comes up with the best addition(s) to my list. =)







1 comment:

  1. Groovy Kind of Lunch and You've Got to Hide Your Lunch Away have to be my favorites!

    ReplyDelete