Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Dazzling Chats


By the time the clock says 8:30 PM on February 20th, if all goes as outlined, I will be a new person.

I'm taking a one-night, two-hour community education crash course:

"Become a Dazzling Conversationalist"

 I have the utmost confidence in my forthcoming success. Anyone who has ever talked to me knows that I *typically* fall more (by more I mean all the way) into the Awkward Conversationalist category. This . . . is evidently . . . all . . . about . . . to change.

I've seen this class offered in the past and simply snickered at its title; partly curious, but mostly afraid it would be too "student participation-y" for a timid kid like me.

I asked Maria if she'd take the class with me, but she will conveniently be in Arizona visiting her sister at that time. Tsk! The nerve!  So I put my "Facebook feelers" out, asking who wanted to attend this life-altering evening with me. I linked my friends to the astounding course description, hoping someone would care to join me. Shockingly enough, there were no takers, although I did get about 8 unexplained "likes". 

 This is how the instructor (I'm assuming it was him) believes the class will go:

"You will master the latest skills for easy and comfortable social/business conversation. Be the center of attention in any conversation.
You will learn guaranteed secrets to speak with superiors, subordinates, family and friends - learn to read their body language. Be at ease and converse easily and interestingly with anyone, anywhere, anytime.
Have at your disposal 20 fascinating, humorous ad-libs and 300 one-liners. You will learn to use over 100 toasts, quotes and introductions.
Become an expert at thinking fast in any conversation - confidence will soar."

The first few statements sound like they were extracted from fortune cookies. =)

So many tantalizing promises!

I wonder if he'll make everyone sign a disclaimer...

So anyway, I, Shy Shannon, am going to this scary class all by myself. I'm making myself do it, as kind of a double challenge. Most conversation for me is at least partially unnerving, but it's way worse when it's with someone I don't know.  GOO!  What have I gotten myself into?! 

J/K. I've so got this covered. That's not to say I'd turn away some like-minded, determined pal who wants to come along...  ;)  (There are still openings!)


2 comments:

  1. I am seriously tempted to take this class, too. Would that be too stalker-ish of me?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blame Mike as he booked the trip for me. . . otherwise I totally would've gone with you. I'm so glad you are going though. I can't wait to hear all about it. And no matter how you feel about your conversation skills, I think you are one of the funniest people I know!

    ReplyDelete