Sunday, January 13, 2013

New Year's

New Year's Eve was pretty fun. We stayed home, but two of Ryan's sisters and their families, along with Ryan's niece and her family, came over to our house for pizza, snacks, and games. Jackie's husband made the pizza dough again. =)  We played Skip-Bo, Bananagrams, and Apples to Apples. Sorry, no pictures. You'll just have to take my word for it that it happened.

I always look forward to New Year's Day since everything's half-price at Dairy Queen. I dragged the whole family there in time to wait 20 minutes for the doors to open. =)  We had a schedule to keep. At noon we pushed our way through the crowd and ordered up some hot eats and cool treats. And I talked Ryan into letting me get a cake log for $7. Actually, the lines were not bad at all. At least not while we were there.

 Jane and Ryan (and Cora is next to Jane) waiting for their delicious meals. I didn't take any pics of the food. I got too wrapped up in the consuming of it to be bothered with documenting it.

After our lunch, we headed to the aquarium to use the season pass we bought for Christmas (during their half-price sale! What a sweet deal). Ryan and the girls hadn't been there yet, so I was excited for them to finally see what Ollie and I had been raving about.

 



I love the underwater "flowers"! So stinking cute. Speaking of "stink", I wonder how their fragrance compares to "above water" flowers ... hmmmmmm, I bet we'd be surprised. Just kidding-- I bet they totally reek.


Here's a funky eel.



And more colorful "flower" clusters! Cora was laughing at me for paying more attention to these than all the fascinating creatures surrounding them.





Jane and Cora at their best.
I think whoever painted this could have supplied Ariel with a bit more coverage. Sheesh.




Jelly fish are sooooo coooool.


Puffins havin' fun. I guess...





Lazy fish hitching a ride on the hammerhead's back. The shark appeared to be trying to get this flippin' freeloader to let go (based on the erratic way it was swimming and shimmying).




 
We had tons o' fun admiring all the creatures. I told Oliver we could go back anytime he wanted. I probably should have worded that differently. ;) It was one of those things that I kind of just blurted out. Of course he said he wanted to go "tomorrow". I was mean and didn't take him until a few days later, since he doesn't have preschool on Fridays. It's the perfect little afternoon outing for my little shark fanatic and me.
 
These octopus shots are from that Friday...







I hadn't seen it nearly as active the other few times we'd visited. I wonder what he (or she?) was trying to say. Maybe it just wanted to give someone a hug. Or it was gassy. Maybe we'll never know.

Welp, that's it for now.

Happy new year.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like a fun New Years. I actually made a written complaint about Ariel's lack of coverage, but nothing was done. I'm wondering if more letters from friends would help. It would not be hard to make her seashells a bit bigger :) Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete