Thursday, January 29, 2015

Call Me


Sometimes I miss phone conversations. It seems like people don't have time for them anymore. Or they just don't want to have time for them.

Texts can be handy, but not when a series of short questions and answers spans hours (or days) rather than the couple of minutes a quick phone call would take. Maybe people don't call because actual talking takes longer than typing - especially when they remember how much fun it is to hear a friendly voice on the phone, which makes it hard to end a call in a timely fashion.

It's understandable when there are long lulls within text conversations. It's admirable when people aren't attached to their phones, just watching and waiting for the next text to arrive. I'm just saying it's kind of sad to think that humans are increasingly avoiding the old-timey art of talking on the phone. What happened to it? Don't folks know that hearing the expression in a voice can't be replaced by a string of typed words? At least not all the time.

The other thing with texts is, if there is no answer, the sender is left wondering whether the recipient is pretending not to see the message, somehow didn't see it, forgot to reply, or is simply away from their phone. I usually tell myself it's that last option. When speaking over the phone it's harder to remain aloof.
("Um. Why aren't you answering my question? I know you're there. . . I can hear you breathing.")

I bet the song "Say Something" was about a text misunderstanding. Someone sends a few texts and doesn't instantly hear back from the recipient, which causes some slight paranoia. The minutes tick by, and still no answer, so the same someone sends this playful little nudge:

Say something, I'm giving up on you.  ; )

Seven painful minutes more...

I'll be the one if you want me to... 
Anywhere, I would've followed you. ='( 
Say something, I'm giving up on you. 

43 and a half miserable minutes later...


And I am feeling so small. It was over my head. I know nothing at all. 

A dozen more minutes pass...

And I will stumble and fall. I'm still learning to love. . . just starting to crawl. =/

(At this point the sender of the texts is parked outside the recipient's house, peering through the tear-streaked car window.)

One last poignant text, for good measure.

Say something, I'm giving up on you. I'm sorry that I couldn't get to you. Anywhere, I would've followed you. Say something, I'm giving up on you . . . 

Actually, one more tiny text...

 I will swallow my pride. You're the one that I love . . . And I'm saying goodbye. =(  

Another tiny while passes by, and then finally a reply:

Hey, what's up? I just got done having my phone repaired. I haven't checked all the texts you sent yet. 

Oh, uhhh, it was nothing, really! LOL. Just silly stuff. Go ahead and delete those. =) 

Of course he reads them all.  =/

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Well, that was a nice tangent. And more than enough for now. Call someone soon, and hope they actually answer the phone so you can have a really lovely chat, with laughs and all that.


















No comments:

Post a Comment