Monday, January 17, 2011

Christmas and What-Not

December was one crazy busy month! With the never-ending list of stuff we needed (and still need) to get for the house, I had a hard time switching gears to focus on Christmas shopping and baking, etc. I was behind schedule on everything! I won't go into too much detail here, I just have a smattering of pictures and a bit of commentary.

Since we are within hop-skip-jumping distance of Kohl's now, I found myself there a few times over the course of the month. I enjoy their holiday merchandise. Check out this cute nutcracker I found--

How was I supposed to resist a sweets-themed nutcracker with an enormous cupcake on his head?
He easily earned the right to come live with me. He knows exactly what I like!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Just days away from Christmas, on the 20th, the kids and I went with the whole Lytle clan to the Winter Garden Aglow at the Botanical Gardens. Ryan was working that night.

It was cold and very muddy, but the lights sure were dazzling.


Messing with the settings on my camera. This was not the right one... :/



Ryan's parents (Shirley and Bob) , me, Ollie, Jane. Cora was off wandering the grounds with Malory.

This tree looked like it was in flames. It was my favorite part.


Good buddies. Bob loves trains and so does Ollie. They have lots to talk about.


Prancer was there. If looks could kill...





I don't know why my camera makes the lights look so scribbly.





Hanging blobs of light.



I loved the flowers. They made me wish it were spring!




A splendid time was had by all.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Fast forward to Christmas Eve. I stupidly didn't take any pictures while we were there, but we went to Chad (Ryan's older brother) and Stacey's house, where we were joined by much of the Lytle family. We had prime rib from Lock, Stock & Barrel, complete with au jus and creamy horseradish sauce. Chad cleans carpets for them and gets paid in meat! Well, not exactly, but that's how it worked out this time. It was so yummy. We had mashed potatoes and a bunch of other stuff. It was all good.

Then we had a gift exchange and a devotional before we departed.

I had lots of wrapping left to do at home, and time was not on my side. Why do I keep doing this to myself every year??

Ryan mercifully helped me sift through everything and get it all ready for Christmas morning.


Here's what it looked like before I went to bed.

On a side note, this is the first year we got a real tree. It smelled so piney!


Before we knew it, morning had come.

I got up at 7-ish to continue decorating the cookies I was behind on. The kids didn't get up until about 8:15. They were pretty excited.




Ollie got mostly trains.


Jane picked two bird Webkinz out for Cora.

I gave Cora an assortment of cute earrings and the gift of finally getting her ears pierced! I don't know why we waited so long, but we did. I guess it was because she hadn't really asked about it much.


What the .... Squinkies??

Cora picked these for Jane. She loves carrying them around in a little box.


What kind of parent would I be if I didn't familiarize my kids with good old Chip and Dale? I loved the cartoons as a kid and knew my kids would also approve.


Ryan trying to keep his eyes open for the picture. Okay, that's good enough! ;)


Ollie loves his "packpack".




I wonder what's going through his mind. =)


I found the cutest shirts for the girls. I also gave her a Candy Land shirt that I couldn't resist.


I'm glad she liked it because I was feeling a little guilty getting it because I loved it so much. Sometimes I can be so self-centered.

I didn't take very organized pictures this time. I wish I would get it together and take pictures of each kid at the end of present time posing next to everything they got. My mom used to do that and it was always so fun to look back on the photos and see what we received each year.

After we were done opening presents at home, we got ready and went to Ryan's parents' house for the traditional biscuits and gravy breakfast. Most of the gang was there.

Then a few more presents with Ryan's family...


Ollie got a Thomas the Train play set from Ryan's parents.


Shirley gave Cora this cute scrapbook kit with all the trimmings.

I guess I didn't get a picture of anyone else while we were there...

After that we went to my parents' house for more holiday fun. We ate, exchanged gifts, lounged around and played Lego Rockband. It was lots of fun! I'd never played any of the Rockband games before.

Here are the few pictures I got around to taking of my obligatory cookies. I was asked to bring dessert for Christmas Eve and Christmas day. It's just expected of me. I'm afraid that's all I'm good for! **sob**




Christmas was full of food, folks and fun (without ever stepping foot into a McDonald's. Eat your heart out, Ronald!)

We had a nice week after Christmas doing this and that while the girls were out of school. Then on New Year's Eve, Ryan had to work so the kids and I went to my sister's house to hang out and play (at long last!) Beatles Rockband. Those drums and guitar are tricky, and trying to sing "I am the Walrus" in its entirety was more than I bargained for. It turns out they (the makers of the game) expect people to know all the mumbled lyrics at the end of that song. Is that what they're saying there? Huh.


We had a lovely Christmas season and I sure hope everyone else we know has a similar story to tell (but with more photographic evidence)!





1 comment:

  1. Okay...this is a comment you've heard from me many a time. How on earth is it that we have been friends for so long, and everyone on the planet has had the privilege of devouring your famous Christmas cookies, except for MMMMEEEEE??????? Huh????? That's it. I've HAD it! Next time we get together, we are making your Christmas cookies! :op

    ReplyDelete