Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Home Sweet "New" Home


The time has finally come. I am now releasing the highly anticipated pictures and details of our "new" house. Built in the lovely 1999, it isn't new. It's not "up-to-date", but neither are we. We love it.
After looking at a plethora of houses over the span of a couple of months, we happened upon this one. We viewed it and liked most everything about it. It was unique. We had seen home after ho-hum home, and like a breath of fresh air, this one was "IT". On the market for just 8 days when we looked at it, we had no idea who else might be interested in it. I think it was the next day when I had my brother/Realtor meet me there to take another peek before deciding. I was afraid of someone else snatching it up while we sat and debated about it. Ryan was getting tired of house hunting, so he agreed that we should proceed with the offer. I've learned that letting the best thing slip away hoping to find a better one really sucks when I find out later that there wasn't anything even close to comparable after all. Not wanting to risk losing this gem of a house, we grabbed it while we could! To make a long story short, we moved into the house about a month and a half after we made an offer. Fun times!

I told myself I wouldn't blather on too much, so here are some pictures. Enjoy!



The view of the staircase through the window above the door made me giddy when we first saw the house.

I'd love a new, "cuter" door someday. We don't like the brass details throughout the house, but those things can obviously be switched out.


The back.


We're so excited to have a yard!

With a fence!

On both sides of the yard!


The previous owners left a big bucket of antlers!



The kitchen....

We love all the cabinet space! I have shelves, cupboards and drawers galore! Most of them are only half filled.

We don't love the color of the cabinets, but that can be changed eventually if we really feel the need.


We can hang our pots and pans when we get some that are worthy of displaying.



Cue the "Phantom of the Opera" theme song...

We're still searching for a replacement for this brass beauty. It's a little... much for above the kitchen table. Or anywhere, for that matter.

Sink your teeth into this pantry!

Room for all my goodies! And yours! Come on over!

I like this little hallway between the kitchen and the front room.



The living room right off the kitchen. We love the half-walls surrounding it. It's separation, but it's still very open.

Gas fireplace.

Huge windows.

Opposite side of the same room. They left these curtains hanging up. I'm still not sure whether I'm going to leave them or ditch them. I took them down once, but it just looks so blank without. I need some inspiration.


My favorite place to curl up and get warm. In our last apartment the heating vents were on the ceiling so I couldn't sit over them. Lame. Ever since I was little I have done this. One leg on either side of the vent and I am a comfy, toasty-warm girl. I love the sound of the heater coming on. When I have time I retreat to the vent!


Like this.

The bathroom off the living room/kitchen. I never would have picked the tile and sink on my own, but it looks nice anyway.


View of the front entry from the living room entry. That open door is the bathroom.


I can't get enough of these lines. So pleasing to my eyes.


Laundry room. Beyond that second door is the spacious garage.


Laundry room sink



Hallway to Cora's room. The laundry room is the door to the left. So Cora's room is just off the living room. We'll cover the windows in her door sometime soon.


Inside her room. We'll be painting it a more cheerful color soon. And decorating some.

Stuffed animals everywhere. She wouldn't have it any other way.


View of the living room as seen from the front door area.


Here's the front room directly to the right as you enter the house.


Front room windows.


Front room ceiling. Love it! My grandma said it's "jazzy!" I would have to agree. =)

Inside of the front door. Love the moulding (molding?), however it may be spelled..


"Bonus" room over the garage. At last, a place other than the living room for Ollie to play trains.



View above front entry.
Another light fixture I want to dispose of...


Stairs to the left of the front door.


Stairs leading to the bonus room. I put the other picture (of the inside of the room) in the wrong spot. Sorry for the confusion.


This cute little door was one of the reasons I fell in love with the house. It's to the left of the bonus room, a big closet of sorts.

The ceiling in there is very high! I'd like to make this into something fun and not waste such a cool closet on boring storage. Kids can play in there or we can make it into a reading nook or something. It's tall enough that we could build a loft in there! Now that would be fun.

One of my other favorite parts of the house-- Get a load of these stairs! Stairs on the left lead to the bedrooms. Stairs in the middle go down to the front entry. Stairs on the right go to the bonus room! I was nearly dumbstruck the first time I saw this. Every time I walk past this spot I feel happy inside. Even when I'm mad.


Aaaahhhhhh, yessssss.......


'Nother view from downstairs.

View of the front door from the top of the stairs.



Inching backward down the hall to what could be called the Master Suite.


And there is the "master" of the house, conveniently enough.




A room with a view. No backyard neighbors. Sweet! So if I forget the curtains are open and come out of the bathroom naked it won't matter. Unless somebody is in the street watching and waiting for something to happen at the window.



The master bath



The tub. As Annie would sing,"I think I'm gonna like it here!" Before now, the last time I was fully submerged in water sans clothing was at the age of 13. I like that feeling of utter freedom and weightlessness. And I don't know why, but it hadn't occurred to me how things ( excess tummy skin, etc...) might float and perhaps feel fluffy when not constrained in a swimsuit.
I digress.
The shower.

The potty. We like the little pocket door.


Ryan's side of the closet


And mine. It's not too big, not too small.



This hall is to the left of our bedroom door and leads to the kids' rooms.


Oliver's room.


Jane's room


Jane's closet. Wow, this closet could be a small bedroom.


Linen closet to the left of Jane's room and next to the kids' bathroom.


The previous (and only) owners left their shower curtain and shelf.

And that's about it.

A few more reasons we bought this house:
-Boise zip code.
-The subdivision is broken up into small, manageable sections. We are on a dead-end loop made up of two streets. That means hardly any traffic and it's easy to get to.
-It's a nice central location. We don't love having to access Eagle Road all the time, but we're close to a lot of places and that's nice.
-We just love the house, and that's that. There are some things we plan on altering, but we really, really like the floor plan.

Thank you for taking the photo tour of our house. You may now go on with your lives.

13 comments:

  1. I absolutely LOVE IT!! You are going to love having a home of your own. :) It has been so nice for us here. It is strange what you get used to for so long. And then to be in a space all your own, is really wonderful. As to the family room curtain issue, You might try a long rod on the inside with pretty white shears. Something that still lets in the light but makes it less bare.

    ReplyDelete
  2. GORGEOUS SHANNON!! I am soooo happy for y'all! i love that it has so much space and all of your kiddos get their own rooms PLUS a bonus room! That's fantastic! Caleb needs a room for his trains too! Our boys should be brothers!! i have fallen in love with your house! When's the trip to IKEA??

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is one awesome and beautiful house!!! I love it and glad you love it too!! Everything about it is great, miss you here though!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Answer honestly... you bought the house for the bucket of antlers, didn't you?

    PS- My mom says "jazzy" too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely home! Congratulations! Oh, and I'm feeling a little "new" home envy here ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I still love it! And am still WAY happy for you! I also like the idea of the white sheers for the family room. And I love your idea of a reading nook for the closet outside of the bonus room. You could put a lamp, a small bookcase, a few bean bag chairs and throw blanket for the kids to snuggle up and read. Or for them to just retreat when they need to.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous, Shannon! Nothing like owning your own home! We got our house from my brother-in-law, and while I hate the house/floor plan/stupidly small back yard, I couldn't argue with the great price he gave us. And, it IS a house - I AM grateful for it. :) I hope to find "my" house someday, however. Yours is truly beautiful. I think I would love the little closet off the stairs/bonus room the most. Such a fun place. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations! It looks like such a neat house. I love all of the separate living areas and hallways. I'm glad you guys have a home of your own, you deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on the new house! Isn't it so nice to move into all that space after apartment living? I love the 3 car garage and I hope to someday (sooner then later) have one of my own. Your pictures made me excited to get my house sold and get a new one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey, did you ever ask Brad about what could be in that space between the half bath and front room, downstairs??

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it! So happy for you guys....you're finally done apartment dwelling. My heart just swells with happiness for you! :) Love the bonus room, the reading closet, and especially the stairs! I love that arrangement! My question about the wall around the living room--why is it even there? Could you just rip the whole thing out and have it be truly open? I know that's king of a big project, but if it's not load bearing, why leave it? If it has to be kept, I would just leave it open. Maybe a tall plant in the corner, but you'll get used to the openness. I always start to feel boxed in by curtains myself, so that's my suggestion. Take it or throw it out with that bucket of antlers!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loved the tour! You crack me up. I see that Ollie has a bed now. Hooray!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved the tour! I wanted more, actually.:) I love details, too, and love that you provide me with them! Congrats on the house. It definitely has your "flair". And you have good flair :)

    ReplyDelete