Friday, December 7, 2012

Upper Crust



Oh, what the heck... I think I'll produce some short posts for a change. It's a bit of a hypocritical thing for me to do, considering I'm often left unfulfilled and disappointed by the briefness of other blog entries I read. Oh well, I'll try to forgive myself somehow.

I think for this one I'll lump a few similar events OUT of chronological order, just to be crazy. I know what you're thinking. This is going to be another one of her long posts.

Nuh-uh...

Okay then, I'd better get to the point quickly.

The similar element in the events I'll list below this crust of an intro is Maria.

Last Saturday (Dec.1) Maria and I met up to attend the annual Christmas Show at the expo building at the fairgrounds. I don't know why it's called a "show". It really is misleading. It's just a bunch of vendors and hopeful entrepreneurs peddling their homespun crap. I mean, crafts. =) I like looking at stuff, and lots of it is really neat, but I feel guilty when I don't want to buy much of anything.
I would HATE sitting at one of those booths all day watching people point and laugh at my handiwork (the way Maria and I discreetly make fun of some of the odd things we encounter there).
I did buy some jams (apple pie, candied apple, and tomato basil) and a couple of cute Christmassy hair clippies for the girls.
It's always a welcome treat hanging out with Maria. We sure missed Renee this year. She's the one who chats up the vendors while Maria and I hang back and quietly take advantage of the free samples.

One Thursday near the middle of the month of October, Maria invited (begged) me to come to Burley with her so she could meet her cousin there so they could film an application video for
The Amazing Race. She has always wanted to be on the show, so she decided to give it a shot. Her gay cousin Trent has the same "impossible" dream. They are applying as a team.

I can already tell this is getting more wordy than I'd anticipated... =/

When we arrived in beautiful Burley, Idaho, we met her cousin at the most logical of locations, a restaurant called The Upper Crust.

We ate lunch, then moseyed across the street to a park of sorts where I filmed the two introducing themselves to the camera. It was fun hearing them share little stories about each other. They both have such appealing personalities, I don't see how they wouldn't get picked! Fingers crossed.
They submitted their application the beginning of November, and now all they can do is hope and wait.

Two days after the day trip to Burley, our friend Beca (from high school) was in town from Utah. She graced us with her presence for breakfast at Rembrandt's Saturday morning. It was all kinds of fun catching up with her. She's quite a peppy individual. I so enjoy the company of lively pals such as these. They are intricately woven into the crispy upper crust of my consciousness.



Sorry if that wasn't short enough. I'll try harder next time. I'm honestly trying to stop being such a windbag on here. =)

3 comments:

  1. Oh what fun we have together! Thanks for being our filmographer. . . fingers crossed! And I'm super offended that you would dare call the Christmas Show articles "crap!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't say it was ALL crap. I said lots of it is neat stuff. PLEASE find it in your heart this Christmas season to FORGIVE me.

      Delete
  2. You need to write a book. I seriously love your writing! By the way, are you coming to game night? Please say yes!

    ReplyDelete