Friday, April 9, 2010

Grab Bag!

I find the concept of grab bags amusing. I almost bought one at Dollar Tree for this post, but I decided it would break my "no buying things I don't need" rule. I like variety and surprises. I know I bought at least one grab bag when I was a kid, and I'm sure it was full of cheap, dumb things - which explains why I've never bought another one. I think a fun business would be Grab Bag Haircuts - for those who can't decide what style they want. Customers would blindly select a picture of a new 'do (out of a hat or other receptacle), and they'd have to let the hairdresser cut their hair to match the pic.
Anyway, the rest of this post has nothing to do with actual grab bags, but it includes various photos and things that I didn't want to devote individual posts to.


Oliver has really taken a liking to The Wiggles (and he likes to nestle into the corner of the couch behind the cushion). He gets the biggest grin as he watches them. I also rather enjoy The Wiggles. Their songs are catchy and I love hearing them talk. I just discovered (embarrassingly long after the fact - because we only own the older videos of them) that Greg Wiggle had to retire about 4 years ago due to health problems and was replaced by Sam Wiggle. I found this out after checking out a new DVD from the library called "The Wiggles Go Bananas!" I was disturbed to find that someone "new" was in Greg's place. I liked Greg! Sam is cute, but I don't think his singing blends with the other Wiggles' voices. Sam is, or was, a Broadway singer. Obviously that doesn't jive with The Wiggles' style. I read about it on Wikipedia and I now understand a little more about why they picked Sam. If the kids of the world can live with it, so shall I.




I forgot I still had this shirt when I did my Beatles post. I found it a few weeks ago, all neglected and lonely in the back of a drawer. I used to wear it a lot in High School. It belonged to my older sister, but I took it over (along with assorted other accessories - a watch, a belt buckle, Yellow Submarine boxer shorts, and a pen). The Beatles had a White Album, which had a blank white cover. A lot of kids didn't get the significance of "The White T-Shirt" when I wore it, but that was their problem. :)

The back of the shirt had all The Beatles' songs listed on it. I'm not sure why it did, since it had nothing to do with the album reference on the front of the shirt. But that didn't stop me from liking it.



Oliver always drinks the milk from his cereal bowl. He looks so cute when he does it.



This was when Cora had a school assignment to take Flat Stanley (there is a book by that name) on little adventures. We went to my sister Megan's improv show at Rembrandt's Coffee
House one evening. They call themselves Chicks and Giggles. They've been having fun performances there every other Monday. I haven't missed one yet.



This is a corn bag that Becky made for me. It's so cute! It can be frozen or heated up to give customized relief when I'm sick or injured. I love the fabric she picked just for me. I'm looking forward to using it. Maybe I'll have to hit myself in the face with a frozen lasagna again like I did recently.






I checked this movie out from the Library a couple weeks ago. I hadn't ever seen it before. It's not uncommon for me to miss a lot of movies that come through.
I really liked Juno. I loved her personality, her dry humor, the way she said things. I loved the music in it. I liked the script. It made me laugh, it made me cry. That constitutes a good movie.
I watched it again before I had to return it.






I decided it wouldn't be Easter if I couldn't make a Peeps cake. I wasn't supposed to. I had resigned myself to the fact that there would be no Easter baking this year. :( My sister was in charge of the dinner menu for our family gathering and we were going to have french toast casserole for the meal, along with other brunch-type foods. I had been waiting since January to make something Eastery, so I was bummed when I learned that my dessert was not necessary. Not only that, but it would be overkill. Sunday morning came and I decided that I needed to bake something. This was my favorite season. I couldn't not create something sweet and cute for the occasion. So, first I made sugar cookie Easter eggs, a sun, a hot air balloon, etc. I didn't have the Peeps assortment I needed to adorn the cake with (I only had orange chicks), so I had to make little bunnies using Peeps play dough cutters I have. They just weren't the same as real Peeps bunnies and chicks. What was I thinking! I made a sheet cake on which to arrange my Peeps scene. I know I wasn't supposed to make a dessert, but I figured we could cut the cake up and send some home with everyone after dinner. It all worked out juuuust fine... My holiday wouldn't have been complete if I hadn't baked anything.







The flowers and shapes I made later with the leftover dough. They were mini cookies. I love tiny things!






Oliver and Cuddles.






Janey and Cuddles






Pretty blossoms in Ryan's parents' yard. Someday, around our future house, there will be beautiful flowering trees.






Ahhh, Primary Health. Looks like a pretty safe place to take the kids in an emergency. . .



. . . THINK AGAIN!
Cora pointed out that when she tilted her head to the right the red cross took on a whole new look. She said, "It looks like a scary face!" I never noticed it before, but now whenever I drive past one of these signs that's all I see. Mwaahahaaaa!






I love this kind of pizza. My mom used to get it when I was growing up, and I get it occasionally now. Pizza mix from a box? you ask. Yes, I say. Mmmm . . . yes.
Something about the sauce packets enclosed and the flavor of the crust cannot be duplicated. I hope it never gets discontinued. I might cry if it did.


The pizza we made this week. Pepperoni, olives and artichoke hearts. And lots of cheese. :)





I finally found a mouthwash I like. I hate the kind that burns my face off or tastes like mentholatum. Blech! This kind has a pleasant cinnamon flavor. Yum.






Bleeding heart flowers. They are so intricate and pretty. I don't know how anybody can see something like this, not to mention the miracle of human life, and not believe in God.



And that's all for now! What a neat grab bag that was!
P.S. All comments are always encouraged and welcome. :)














5 comments:

  1. I thought about you this week as the wannabe idols slaughtered Beatles (or Lennon/McCartney) songs on American Idol...I wondered if you were cringing like *I* was through most of it...no good AI--no good...ruin Miley Cyrus songs or Brittney Spears songs--or Jessica Simpson songs-but leave poor John unmolested in his grave...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the scary face of Primary Health. Only a kiddo would see that. :) That pizza looks good. We will have to have a homemade pizza party together sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love bleeding hearts! They're hugely nostalgic for me. My mom grew them at my childhood home. I'm quite positive they will be one of the first things I plant when we get a home of our own.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dad doesn't have an account to comment with but it turns out it will let me post as Cora :D

    Holy randomness. That was definitely the grab-bag special. At least in this grab-bag we got to see neat things and Primary Health was exposed once and for all.

    ...and Stacie, that pizza is good. I just walk past it all evening eating pieces until it's gone (notice I didn't say until I regret eating half a pizza alone)

    ReplyDelete