Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Surprise Party!

I threw a surprise party for Ryan to celebrate his long-awaited, much anticipated graduation. It was just an added bonus that the first weekend of no more school for him fell on his birthday. I planned the graduation/b-day party for that day, Saturday, May 1st.

Ryan does not like being fussed over and made the center of attention. He hoped his mom wouldn't try and put a big party together, but he never said anything about not wanting me to do such a thing. He did say he didn't want a party, but I just couldn't not have one for him. I couldn't let the weekend go by without something out of the ordinary. I didn't want it to be like any old lame Saturday. So I did what I could to arrange a memorable shindig. I invited all his family, all my family and a few friends. I thought about inviting more of my friends, but I decided to stick with the people who were directly associated with Ryan, since it was a party for him, not me.

For two weeks I struggled with trying to keep from wrecking the surprise. Cora and Jane overheard me talking about it with Ryan's mom, so I had to remind and warn them repeatedly to not say anything to Dad about any party!

The day of the secret fiesta came, and our plan according to him was to go over and hang out at his parents' house in the evening and take it from there. I had told him that his mom wanted to watch the kids so he and I could go out somewhere.

I had told everyone to be there at 6:00 sharp. I planned on getting there with Ryan and the kids by a few minutes after 6 and it would all go perfectly according to my design. Well, we got there 15 minutes later than expected. That doesn't seem like that long to wait, but it apparently is to a crowd of people standing in close quarters in the back of a garage while anticipating our arrival. My fault. Ryan had been finishing something up at home at the same time we were supposed to have been on our way over. I had to remain calm or he'd think something was up. I had told Ryan's sister to text me when they were ready. I got that text just as we were loading up into the car to come over. It's a 15-to-20-minute drive, and I was driving, so I couldn't text back to tell them what the deal was. I didn't know that all the attendees would be quite so punctual!
Once we got there, Ryan's aunt, uncle, and a few cousins were surprised to see us pulling into the driveway. They didn't know what to do, so they just acted nonchalant. Ryan told me later that he thought his mom just told them to stop by on their way to a stake conference meeting. They were all in church dress and just stopping in to make an appearance at the party. But I had invited them, not his mom. Ryan started chatting with them and was still doing so as we slowly entered the backyard, where the tired-of-waiting guests were. The actual moment of surprise was anticlimactic, since a couple of kids ran out prematurely and yelled "Surprise!" when Ryan was still not all the way in the yard. The rest of the group never really said it. At least not in unison. But when he registered what was going on, he was internally surprised, if not visibly...

We had quite a large group gathered at the start; his parents, four of his siblings' families, my parents, my grandma and two of my sisters' families, plus various cousins and his aunt and uncle and a few friends. I was so glad so many people could make it! And Ryan didn't get mad at me for throwing him a party. :)


It was windy and chilly, so Shirley had her outdoor fireplace and a portable fire pit going for people to warm up next to. My jacket still smells like fire. Maybe I should wash it.

I ordered the balloons and had Alondra pick them up, and she and Shirley decorated the yard. It looked more festive than the pictures portray.

Uncle Jim, Aunt DeeDee, the back of Jenicee, Jade in sunglasses, and Bethany in the hoodie.

We had burgers and hot dogs and a tasty assortment of salads and sides.

I would have taken better pictures, but a bunch of people had to leave in a hurry, and I was darting around trying to make sure everyone was getting food before they took off.

After everyone ate dinner, we moved inside to sing "Happy Birthday" to Ryan. I ordered 6 dozen donuts from Pastry Perfection for dessert, which my mom so kindly agreed to pick up on my behalf. Ryan loves donuts, but we don't get them very often at all because they can kill people. :)


I should have gotten a pic of the beauteous sprinkle donuts. I was just too much of a busybody that night to get any decent photos.


I think by the time the donuts were revealed, Ryan had completely forgiven me for throwing a party for him.



Blowing out the candles I'd put on one of the donut dozens. The girls were already trying to grab the sprinkle-covered ones. That explains my demeanor in this pic. :) Get your mitts off the donuts!


Mmmm.... so many donuts.




Ryan opened several cards and a little chicken shooter. The "gun" catapults mini plastic chickens with the goal of hitting the bull's-eye, what else?


He got money, an Olive Garden gift card, and movie passes.


Ryan's sister, Alondra, (to the right of Ryan) told me her husband (who is working in Louisiana) said to make sure Ryan knew the money enclosed in their card was for me. $100, yippee!!!

Ryan's brother, Chad, and his wife, Stacey, and two of their kids, Myles and Danielle


Ryan's niece, Shealyn, with her baby. His sister, Bethany, on the right


The best part of the evening was the arrival of some of Ryan's old pals he grew up with. I'd contacted one of them on Facebook to invite them, and he promised they'd come after another party they had to be at. It worked out perfectly that way. They came after dinner, which gave Ryan time to visit with everyone else before they arrived. He hadn't seen them in years, so he was pleased as punch to see them. He kept thanking me for bringing them together.

Overall, the night was a success! And now I can think about something other than party planning!

2 comments:

  1. What a fun party! Mike doesn't like parties on his behalf either and especially surprise parties. Our first year married he warned me over and over not to. I couldn't resist though and just did a small one with our 14-15 year old Sunday School class. I haven't mustered up the courage to try it again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I'm so glad that it all worked out! He looks genuinely happy. :) "Pleased as punch" in fact. :) You're cute. Congratulations to both of you!!!

    ReplyDelete