Monday, June 20, 2011

3 Sisters+California=Happy Shannon (Part 1)

At 10:30pm on Saturday, May 21st, my sisters (Erin and Megan) and I hit the road to California! We figured that, judging by the volume of travel snacks aboard, if the car had literally hit the road, there would have been candy scattered for miles around.

The main "excuse" for our trip was to see Glee Live, but we chose the location of Anaheim based on the fact that Erin had not yet experienced Disneyland. We purchased non-transferable, Ultimate VIP tickets to the concert because, hey- we didn't want to drive umpteen hours to get crummy seats. We were guaranteed to be in the first five rows, plus we'd get to "meet & greet" two cast members, and get goody bags, and attend a pre-concert party. It was difficult to muffle our collective giddiness during the weeks leading up to the day of departure, but, at long last, the time came!

We traveled through the night, listening to assorted tunes and chewing the fat. Well, Erin and Megan chewed the fat as I struggled to hear the topics of conversation from the depths of the back seat.

Sometime around sunrise, I gave up...

Here I am just before the not-quiet-enough click of Erin's camera jerked me from what appeared to be a pleasant dream. I'm guessing it involved some sort of quest for candy.
(Thank you, Erin. Now I can go peacefully to my grave knowing that I have at least one candid of me sawing honest to goodness logs.)

We arrived in Anaheim without incident at about 1:00 pm. We noticed an In-N-Out near our hotel and decided to try it, since we'd heard so many amazing recommendations. The menu was overly underwhelming, the burgers were decent, and we all agreed the fries were not good at all. Now we know. The place was so packed. We felt sorry for the seemingly empty sandwich shop across the parking lot. I bet the owner spends a considerable amount of each business day shaking his or her meat-scented fist at that "Cotton-pickin' In-N-Out!"

We had some time to kill before check-in, so we went to Target and walked the aisles (Weekend at Bernie's style-- we were dead tired) in search of lip balm.

We were finally allowed to check into the hotel at 3:00pm on the dot. Our room smelled of mung. And we discovered that the bathrooms were not equipped with ventilation fans. What the...? Other than that, the room was juuuust fine. We had a beautiful view of the courtyard/pool area.

Megan and I promptly conked out for several hours while Erin slunk around the premises familiarizing herself with it all. As soon as Megan and I came to, she gave us her report. Mostly, (and perhaps moistly) she told about scores of large, oddly situated statues on the grounds. We were not amused. Just kidding, Erin! We were... =)

The next morning, we went downstairs to have breakfast. They served fried rice as one of the buffet options, which we all raised an eyebrow and/or shrugged at. As we settled in to eat, we scanned the room, only to see that the majority of the breakfast eaters were of Asian descent. We can't be sure, but it seems to us that most Asians chew with their mouths open, using abrupt, up and down motions. Everywhere we turned, new evidence of our theory was revealed. We had to laugh. Politely, of course...

After breakfast, we got ready to go to Hollywood! And we went!

I sat in the back again, snapping pictures of the beautiful scenery along the way.

I just love the California landscapes.

Hey! Look what we found! =)


There were purple trees all over the place! I don't recollect ever seeing any of these in Boise!



Soon, we reached our destination. We parked in a garage and started wandering the streets of downtown. I counted at least a trillion lingerie-type shops, and I silently wondered how any of them survive with all the competition. I suppose the natives of L.A. have a real thirst for kinky clothes. But don't we all?


Here's the impressive Grauman's Chinese Theater.


We didn't go inside. We had other things we'd rather do.

Like take pictures of the Hollywood sign.



And the courtyard of the shopping center near the Kodak Theatre.


A rare look of tranquility from Megan.


I saw these yummy caramel apples in a window. We didn't stop, but I thought the panda ones were especially cute. I'm a sucker for caramel apples. And cute things.

We had lunch at California Pizza Kitchen. We ordered an appetizer to share:

Avocado Club Egg Rolls
A fusion of East and West with fresh avocado, chicken,
tomato, Monterey Jack cheese and applewood smoked
bacon, hand-wrapped in a crispy wonton roll. Served
with homemade ranchito sauce and our homemade
herb ranch dressing.

It was SO GOOD! I almost died in a pool of my own happy salivation. Then we split a yummy BBQ chicken pizza.


The best part of our time downtown, next to the Avocado Club Egg Rolls, of course, was visiting Madame Tussauds Wax Museum.

Leo lured us in with his easygoing pose.



Erin, about to get exactly what she bargained for... I bet waxy gas is positively terrible!



Megan getting a case of the Hannibal Lecter heebie jeebies. Looking into his eyes was really creepy. It's crazy how life-like they can make these "people".


Jimmy Stewart was a really tall fellow. And so dapper!


Zut alors!



Trying desperately to get the chocolates without breaking his hands off.


Erin emulating her "favorite" actor.


Sacre bleu!

Erin and Megan made it a priority to yell out French phrases of distress throughout the week. =)




Megan probably thinking, "They took my eyes!"




This was all the self restraint I could muster when I saw that pastry!





Oopsie!



Lazy Cameron Diaz.


My pal, Jim.



Nicholas Cage's best silly face.


Simon just told me my singing was absolutely dreadful. I only had one glottal attack, geesh!


Erin chillin' with her peeps. (Since I really "love" that phrase.)


Look who we ran into!


Why they haven't made a wax figure out of me.


After the wax museum, we made a few other imperative stops, one being a wondrous place called Millions of Milkshakes. It did not disappoint. The only problem was I couldn't decide which shake to order! They have about a million possible mix-in combinations, plus an menu of predetermined shakes created by celebrities who've visited there. After careful consideration, I chose the "John Gosselin" shake -not because of the name, but because it had brownies, snickers, cookie dough, Ferrero, Rollo, and whip cream. I figured I couldn't go wrong with such a nice mixture of chocolaty goodness. I was right! It was undoubtedly the best shake I'd ever had.


I loved the design and colors of the store. It was very cute!


Erin approving of her shake, and my arm being very pink in the background.


"Milkshake talk"


"Tawk among yourselves..."


Another stop that day: A really big candy store.


If there is one thing we know for sure, it is that WE LOVE CANDY!!!!





Meg scrutinizing the craftsmanship of the M&M's merchandise.


So much to choose from!


Money can't buy me love, but it can buy me candy!


Look at all the cute stuff I stopped myself from buying!



I was kind of disappointed they didn't have the individual 5-lb gummy bears like I've seen online. This 5-lb box of bears was a cop-out. Maybe they had too many lawsuits from people who choked on the 5-lb gummy bears, and they had to discontinue them. Not that I'd want one, I just wanted to see one.

Yet another choking hazard. It can think of worse ways to die than choking on candy... and I won't be too surprised if that's how I go.


This Jelly Belly encrusted Marilyn may as well have been at the wax museum. I thought it was the real her when I saw it! ;)


I got a chocolate/nut covered pretzel and a marshmallow skewer dipped in white chocolate and sprinkles. Neither one of them tasted as good as they looked.

And that's it for Part 1 of our enthralling trip west.

3 comments:

  1. Man, I can't believe it's been a month already. It all seems like a magical dream--especially the food parts! Those avocado ranch rolls...I can't even. And it looks like I'm enjoying my shake so much that I'm literally inhaling it. That would have really hurt, what with all that Cap'n Crunch in there!

    That was such a fun day! I notice you made no mention of our field trip to Eagle Hills Mall. Did the fish market fail to leave an indelible impression on you? Quel dommage!

    Love your recap-looking forward to the next installment! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an adventure! Looks like you had a finger-licking good time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm SO glad (among other things) that you got to use the term "glottal attack"!!!!

    Becky

    ReplyDelete