Sunday, June 19, 2011

We Miss Our Missy...

Cora's hamster, Missy, died on Saturday, May 21.

I had crouched down by the cage to say hi to the hamsters that afternoon. Only Cuddles was outside of their little wooden hut. I peeked into the dark hut and couldn't see any movement. It just didn't look right, and I got a terrible feeling. Holding my breath and hoping my suspicion was wrong, I slowly lifted the hut. Poor Missy had clearly passed. I didn't try to contain my emotion.

Who knew I would burst into tears over the death of a tiny hamster? My heart was instantly broken, feeling the pain my girls were about to know. This would be their first time losing a beloved pet.

The "wuhwees" (as Oliver called them) joined our family the Christmas before last. Since then, Cora and Jane have never gotten tired of "their little girls". They've played with them and cared for them the best they could. They've felt truly responsible for the health and happiness of their furry, little critters. They've loved watching all the cute things Cuddles and Missy have done.

The day Missy died was so sad. Cora, Jane and I cried our hearts out as I removed Missy from the cage and we prepared a spot in our backyard to bury her. We hugged a lot and sobbed together for a long time. Cora said she never wants another pet so she won't have to go through this again.

We loved Missy. She was our non-biting hamster. The girls had so much fun with their two sweet hamster buddies.


Missy, soon after she became Cora's pet.


Who can honestly say she isn't adorable??


We feel so sad for Cuddles, who no longer has her snuggle buddy. The two were always sleeping this way. It was so precious to see. (By the way, that tan string that looks like a tail is a piece of twine, not a tail.)

Shortly after Missy died, the girls cut a scrap of soft, cotton fabric to put in the cage for Cuddles. She burrows under it to sleep, and sometimes pulls it around with her teeth. It's so cute. I hope that even though her hamster friend is gone, she knows her human friends are still here for her and love her.


I wish we could climb into this picture and greet sweet Missy once more.




RIP, Missy. You are missed so very much...

1 comment:

  1. I'm so sorry!!!! I really love that she meant so much to you guys and that the girls loved their hamsters just as much as when they first got them. That is pretty unique and special. Losing a pet is so so hard but I hope Cora realizes that it is worth it and will bring another cute little snuggler into the home.

    ReplyDelete