Sunday, June 26, 2011

'Fornia Trip, Part 3: The Beach

On our third full day of vacation, we decided to hit a beach. Looking at the week's forecast, I knew there wouldn't be a day fit for swimming, let alone sunbathing. When we first planned the whole trip, I just assumed that by the end of May in California it would be hot enough for enjoying a sun-soaked day by the sea.

I've never been to a beach when it has been warm enough to merit the wearing of swimsuits. Sad, I know. (Unless you count Bear Lake, which I don't, really, because it's not an ocean. It's beautiful, but it's not a the kind of beach I'm talking about.) I've visited the Oregon Coast twice, and sections of the California coastline a few times, but never has it been swimming weather. Someday I hope to go to a really warm, NOT WINDY, gorgeous beach.

Huntington Beach, according to Erin's internet research, was the closest one to where we were staying, so that's where we went. We envisioned ourselves basking in the sunny sand, alternately perusing magazines and gazing at the ocean's sparkly expanse. Here's what really happened...

It was windy. Really, really, very windy.



But it was still so beautiful to see.


The only way to kind of escape the gusts was to lie down. But even then, it was a little too chilly for comfort. Excuse the angle of the picture. I was trying to get our resting heads in the shot, but mostly captured bustline. I usually check the screen on the back of the camera to see if I'm getting decent pictures, but this time it was too bright outside for me to decipher anything. So I just crossed my fingers and hoped for the bust. I mean, best. ;)

Megan taking note of the frothy waves.



Megan waiting for Ariel to emerge from the waves and take her on a tour of her cavern full of neat stuff.



Me

Me looking for seashells. There were a whole bunch all over the place!

Erin longing for a kerchief.


Working on my hair's sand collection.




Someone who was glad about the high winds.




Erin's feverish attempt at relaxing. Notice her hands pinning the towel down to keep it from smothering her.



Most of a big shell. Keep in mind that I have size 9 feet.





When I asked Megan to take some pictures of me, she didn't hesitate to snap a few of herself.


This one's my personal fave. It reminds me of when she was about 10 years old.


Have I mentioned anything about how windy it was? If not, just ask Megan's hair.


Looking as though I'd just concluded a lengthy horseback riding session.



Whoops, Megan accidentally cut Erin out of the shot.





There she is! Well, you can kind of see her through Megan's windswept hair.

After the beach, we went over to Johnny Rockets for some milkshakes and fries. It was a fun little place. Then we pretty much went back to the hotel.

I wish I would have written about this trip immediately upon our return, because I can't remember everything I should about the order of events. Only two more posts left!

P.S. I almost forgot that we went to IKEA before we headed to the beach! I'm so ashamed of myself for letting it slip my mind. Erin and I didn't have too much time to gape at all the cool merchandise, since Megan opted to wait in the car. She just doesn't get the IKEA hype. That's where she and I differ. Whenever I'm in close proximity to one, I can't not go, so I'm glad Erin wanted go as well.

1 comment:

  1. I hope that's the last time I'm forced to sunbathe in a jacket. Well, at least I got a nice pair of Crocs out of the excursion. And a tasty sandwich. Emphasis on 'sand', unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete