Sunday, May 27, 2012

Didja Know?

I'm sure I read about this in high school during the height of my Beatlemania. If I did, I forgot all about it until I read it in a magazine last month. I'm too lazy to express this in my own words, so here comes a direct quote from the special Beatles edition of Newsweek.
"In 1968, while meditating with the Maharishi in India, John Lennon was seized by a great idea. The Beatles had been looking for a third film with which to follow up the success of A Hard Day's Night and Help! How about an adaptation of J.R.R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings? McCartney could play the hero, Frodo; Starr his devoted sidekick, Sam; Harrison would make a great Gandalf; and who else for the grasping Gollum but Lennon himself?"
Ha! I wonder why this project didn't pan out. Poor John. I can just imagine how bummed he was when the would-be director told him over lunch that the book was "unfilmable". I think it would have been a hideous, yet amusing, adaptation. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment