Friday, March 29, 2013

My childhood in a nutcase - I mean, nutshell...





 
This is the house I grew up in. My parents (mom and stepdad) still live there. That's mini me on the railing. My parents moved here from Tucson a few months before I was born because my dad was hired at HP.  It hurts my brain to imagine my life now if he hadn't gotten that job and moved us to Boise. I might have grown up in Arizona and missed out on all the fine people of Idaho... 
 
I picked some snappyshots to share here that pretty much sum up my kidhood.
 
I remember playing in the snow.

Check out the rad Raggedy Ann hat.
I literally had eyes on the back of my head, making me pretty much invincible in a snowball fight. ;)

Christmas 1982



What I wouldn't give for a slightly larger model of this today. I'd run all my errands on it. Might have to get a matching trailer for groceries and sundry items.




I don't look one bit guilty here. Poor little Meggers. 
 

Okay, enough of the wintery pictures. On to some more cheerful moments...
 
9 times out of 10, those kinds of moments occur in the springtime...
 


Meg looking on, awfully cautious of the scene leading up to her sister's budding inclination to evermore be smitten by the wonders of spring. 
(I'm going to pretend that sentence makes sense.)


One of the three famous strawberry dresses Grandma McCaleb made. =)
 
 
 

May '82




A happy 5th birthday
 
 

 
 
Day after my birthday...






Who remembers this place?
 

Why, it's Wild Waters. Many good times were shared there, until it was mercilessly torn down to make room for the lame freeway. (I don't know why the picture scanned so narrowly. Maybe it wasn't sufficiently flattened out?)

Erin and Gavin are next in line for an intense ride down this cray-cray blue slide.
 
 

Meg's face is so sweet in this.

 
 
I recall my mom taking us to see the various phases of temple construction. 





The background is so pretty, it almost looks fake. But it's not.
 



Here are the McCaleb sisters. Little did they know, a few decades later they'd embark on some really fun trips together. =)
What we also couldn't have known then was that Megan would become our fearless leader. Our quick-thinking, decision-making, take charge of any situation, center of attention (in a good way) fun-filled  leader.
 
 Our super-sweet grandma loved sending us matching clothes...
 



Who knows what's happening here. I just like it. And Meg looks like she could be her son Fletcher's twin here. That same slack-jawed expression. =)
 
 

My mom had her friend make these adorable stockings for us. 



Christmas 1984
 
I loved getting my very own boxes of cereal. Looks like my Cabbage Patch Kid (Collin) got a jazzy new sweatsuit that year.
 

Jan. '85, wardrobe courtesy of Grandma.
 
 
 
I don't know what this is about, but I like how my mom fixed our hair.
 

And I like the flowers!



Some Shannonite highlights from '85...
 

Can you say jumpsuit? I can. Totally takes the guesswork out of getting dressed.
 
 


A Halloween "princess" of sorts.
 
 
 


With Grandma and Grandpa McCaleb- Aug '84



'85


I loved that dress. 

 
Some pics with Dad... 
Dec. '87
 
 

Dec. '86



Dec. '86
 
 
 

There's no date on the back of this one. =( But I still like it. 
 
 

March '86
 
 
Dec. '85
 
 


Feb. '86
 


Now skip a year or two for our concluding photo of the day. A visit to Arizona. This was at my dad's house either '87 or '88. (I think)



Check out Gavin's plentiful spectacles, Erin's awesome 'Help!' shirt, and my perturbed face.


I think other bloggers should post some of their own childhood photos. It's fun. And sentimental. And because old snapshots are dandy, that's why.


4 comments:

  1. I love all of your childhood pictures! It was fun to see a picture of Wild Waters. That place was great! A lot of your clothes remind me of clothes I wore then. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many thoughts:
    1. I still think Oliver looks SO much like you in most of these shots with the exception of your 5th birthday picture in which you look like Jane.
    2. I was just thinking of Wild Waters the other day and was wishing I had a picture so that was perfect timing!
    3. I'm SO glad your dad took that job with HP so you could become acquainted with such wonderful people as myself. :)
    4. You and your sisters' hair looks so cute in every shot. Some styles from the 80's should've stuck. Including the knee high socks with your church dress. So cute. I seriously want to find some for Kenley.
    5. That Raggedy Ann hat is amazing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute and fun. I have many of the same style outfits. I think I will do some old photo posts as well. Stay tuned...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm amazed how you went from looking like Oliver, to looking like Jane after the 'after my birthday' pic.
    I need to find the bin with my old cabbage patch kids, stat! These photos made me want to hold mine again!
    I had perms too. Does anyone other than old ladies still get them these days?

    ReplyDelete