Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Cake and Crocuses

This is the moment I'm always waiting for: For as long as I can remember, my mom has had these beautiful little crocuses planted in her front yard. They are the first flowers that poke up through the ground every year. I LOVE THEM! They seem so small and simple, and maybe not much to look at, but to me they are always a welcome sight. Their dainty petals proclaim that spring is on its way. I think flowers are pretty and perfect and so wonderfully bright after a cold, drab winter.


The tulips are beginning to sprout. I'm sure I will take pictures of those, too, when they bloom. They don't last long enough. When we get into a house I am going to cover the yard in blossoms. With reckless abandon. =)


I just love the promise of flowers blooming in spring. I like that they push their way out of the dirt and into the sunshine and grow and show the world their beauty. I think of how lifeless the landscape is without them. I can't say it enough - I LOVE FLOWERS!



Last Sunday at my parents' we celebrated my nephew Ethan's 11th birthday. My sister made an awesome cake, as usual. It's a Star Wars space station. She put all the little Lego characters on top. She thought it didn't turn out very well, but I thought it looked great! She always makes impressive-looking cakes.









Isaac, Ethan's brother. He's 12 and always ready for a photo. =)





Take it easy there, birthday boy! And this was taken before he consumed any cake and ice cream... ;) Silly kid.







The boys' dad, Barry, looking on. Oliver awaits the cutting of the cake.
It was a fun evening. We had pizza for dinner and almost the whole gang was there. Next time I'll get a pic of all the attendees.







1 comment: