Friday, March 5, 2010

Long Live Snail Mail.

I am determined to keep snail mail alive. Yes, I do email friends, but I entirely refuse to phase out the hand-penned cards and letters. If I'm left alone in my dedication to this age-old art, then so be it. I will continue to single-handedly contribute to the success of post offices everywhere by writing and sending my epistles.

Who doesn't love opening the mailbox to discover a thoughtfully personalized letter inside? I know it always makes my day (on the rare occasion I receive such a thing). I've been sending them out a little less frequently the past several months, so I felt the need to send out a couple this week. It made me feel like "me" again. I know that my odds of getting snail mail are increased slightly the more I send out myself. What goes around, comes around, right?
Can't think of what to write? It doesn't have to be lengthy. Here's an example: "Dearest Shannon, How are you? I'm okay, but I'd be much better if you were here. I miss you every moment of every day. I sit in eager anticipation by my mailbox, awaiting your sweet letters. You're the wind beneath my wings. You're the meaning in my life - You're the inspiration... I can't wait much longer until we meet again. Purposefully, So-and-so."
Too cheesy? Maybe. Heartwarming? You betcha!

I have a nice assortment of stationery. It's not all shown, this is just a mere sampling. I love stickers and confetti, too. I always put one or more stickers on the back of the envelope to add color and charm. Sometimes I enclose a dash of confetti. I've been told more than once that my little addition has spilled out everywhere as the letter was opened. :) That's the idea... But I know they feel the love as they sweep up the mess. In junior high I wrote notes to friends pretty much every day. One day in class my friend Kevin was surreptitiously opening a note from me, so as to not draw attention to himself. The confetti caught him off guard, and tiny stars scattered all over his desk and onto the floor. Ha! Letters are too cheery to let die.
If anyone is reading this ... anyone at all ... I gently command you write a letter to a friend. It will make both you and your friend feel the love.


2 comments:

  1. I confess I do miss the occasional letters I *used* to get from you (it's been many years since I had the fun of cleaning up confetti)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful post! I couldn't agree more :)

    ReplyDelete