Saturday, March 20, 2010

Double Date

On Friday, Ryan and I went on a double date with our friends, Rachel and Micah. We've been buddies with them since about the time Jane was born. We were in the same ward and lived in the same apartment complex.
It had been a few months since we'd hung out together, so I called Rachel on Thursday to see how things were going. She said she'd been thinking of calling me all week. Likely story... =) We chatted for a bit, then she said they had a date planned for the following evening, and asked if we wanted to join them. It sounded like a plan to me! We decided to go bowling.


I have such long arms it's hard to tell I'm the one taking the snapshots. What is up with my neck all the time? It looks so weird.





Ryan is too tall for me to get him all in the pic, even with my ape-like arms. His head got truncated, but at least his smile looks nice. He slouched accordingly in one of the shots, but it made him look like a double-chinned slob, so I decided to go with this one after all. I thought about having him take the dang picture, but changed my mind...

Ryan needs some photography lessons. Is that a person way over there in the middle of the frame?


Notice all the pins still standing in the background as I make the humiliating trek to retrieve the ball.


Gutter ball. It wasn't nearly as tragic as the blurry, disfigured expression on my mug.

Well, I guess my score was pretty pathetic. Bad enough to match the look on my face. I don't know if I dare even share that kind of sad information here. Okay, who cares? First game: 65, second game a whopping 84... Ryan got a 90 one game and something just over 100 on the other. I got one strike, and I didn't even mean to! It was a pleasant surprise. I like bowling, but I need some schooling and serious practice. It would be so fantastic if I could get the highest score in the history of bowling. Because I'm sure I could get some extra credit somehow...


After we'd sufficiently embarrassed ourselves at the bowling alley, we went to DQ for some cool treats. At first, Micah and Rachel suggested we go to Mcdonald's for soft serve cones. I am HORRIBLE at faking approval. If I don't want something, you'll know it. Even if I try to agree, nobody buys it. I made some snide remark about how it wasn't exactly gourmet. Ever say something before you think it through? Um, I do. I felt so bad for acting so rude! But they asked where I wanted to go and I answered apologetically, "Dairy Queen?" And then the unthinkable happened. Both Rachel and Micah, who have lived in Boise for years, admitted they had NEVER BEEN TO A DAIRY QUEEN!!! "WHAT?!" That right there eliminated any of the guilt I'd been feeling moments earlier. It was no longer a choice to be made. It was Dairy Queen or die...





Their first DQ experience. Rachel gave me her critique. She said the soft serve was better than McD's (no-brainer), but the fudge wasn't as good as McD's. Upon further investigation, it was probably due to the fact that Micah had mistakenly ordered it with chocolate syrup, not fudge. =) I didn't hear any complaints about the chocolate dip cone. And I haven't seen any of those at McD's.







I ordered a chocolate cherry blizzard. Mmmm... one of my favorites.








I worked at that very store (Glenwood) for 3 years from when I was 16. The thing I liked most about it was getting to create my own treats every day on break. I liked a lot of the people I worked with, but a lot of the time it was hard for me to deal with the stress of ice cream machines malfunctioning, angry customers, running out of crucial ingredients during rushes, etc. It was a constant battle with myself trying to keep my sanity intact. The thing that most kept me motivated was the sweet assurance of a Blizzard treat at lunch time. Vanilla (or swirl) soft serve with cookie dough, oreo, malt and chocolate cone dip all mixed together. Yum. That was one of my favorite combinations.
Anyway, it was a really fun double date.
The End








2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh I can't believe someone had not been to DQ. . . not only that but an entire couple hadn't!!!!! In high school I lived for my drive to school on the first day of the month so I could see what the new blizzard of the month was. Before Kenley was born, Mike and I were going there 3 times a week (partially explains my 60 pound weight gain). Oh, and don't feel bad about bowling. I took a bowling class in college and had the highest handicap in the entire class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sad to say that I can no longer eat a DQ ice cream anything--the last time I was there they had not properly cleaned the ice cream machine and thus the 2 blizzards and the kid's ice cream cone tasted all soapy..and I can still taste it every time I drive by a DQ...it's been a sad sad time...stupid DQ for ruining my blizzards!!!

    ReplyDelete