Monday, March 29, 2010

Makin' cookies

Oliver had a hankering for cookies. All day at church he was thinking of them. When I picked him up from nursery the teacher gave me his coloring picture and there was a cookie drawn on the bottom in crayon. I asked the teacher if he'd asked her to draw that, and she said he had, and that he was talking about cookies a lot throughout class time. =) Little cookie monster. I decided if he wanted cookies that bad I wanted to make his wish come true. So later that day after he woke up from his nap I told him we were going to make cookies. He was so excited! But he didn't want to wait for the finished product. He kept trying to eat the ingredients.



He liked helping me mix the dough.




Here's a "Ryan's-eye" view of our fun. Okay, he's not that tall... He lifted the camera way up high to get an aerial shot.






I might be the only person I know who doesn't own a Kitchenaid mixer. I don't know how many thousands of times I've made cookie dough in my life, but I've always managed to blend it with a little hand mixer. That explains how my arms got so incredibly ripped. =) If I had a Kitchenaid I probably wouldn't know what to do with myself while waiting for the work to be done for me. I'm not saying I wouldn't accept one if someone wanted to give me one, but I don't consider it a priority or even a necessity. More like a luxury.



Wearing the apron Ryan gave me the Christmas before last. He asked why I hadn't tried it on without anything underneath. I told him I had. He asked where he was at the time. "At school", I answered. What can I say, I was curious. So sue me.



Jane sampling a chocolate chip cookie.




Jane with a mouthful o' cookie - Cora with a kooky mouth.




What a ham.





Here's the picture that made the whole experience worth it...



The fact that this snapshot was not supposed to have a hand reaching into it makes it priceless. I was minding my own business, taking a pic of the (ugly) cookies, and from out of nowhere came Oliver's chubby little hand - making a perfectly timed appearance in the photo. I love it!


I always have to kick myself a little for making the cookies because when Oliver knows they're there he can think of nothing else! But he'd been requesting them for days, and I kept having to tell a very bummed boy that we had no cookies, so I didn't have the heart to let him down yet again.






2 comments:

  1. I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets a treat idea in my head and can't get it out. I have to say. . . you are very open on your blog which I appreciate because I got a good laugh at you trying on your apron while Ryan was at work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For the record--I do not own a kitchen aid either..so "you'rrrrrrre NOOOOOOOOOOOOOT alone!!!......say it one more time...I'm not alone"

    ReplyDelete