Sunday, March 21, 2010

The Three Amigas

I was so excited for Saturday to come. Maria and Renee (friends I've had since I was a teenager) and I went to a little class at Williams-Sonoma that was meant to school us on proper cake and cupcake baking. It started at 9 in the morning. That's kind of early for a Saturday outing, but I didn't have any trouble getting up, knowing how much fun awaited me. I am SO glad I have those two around. It hasn't been too long since Renee moved back here from Arizona, and Maria moved back here from Texas (each with her respective family).

The class instructor was a cute, petite, brunette girl who kept raving about cake and suggesting various spendy products that our cakes would likely be ruined without. The three of us provided plenty of hushed commentary among ourselves. =) There were 25 or so other people gathered for the class, and we all had to stand around the demo kitchen for the hour, watching and waiting for our chance to sample the yummy-looking cupcakes. We were so mad when the gal started cutting them into quarters. What a gyp! Maria really wanted a whole one.

After the class, we wandered around the store looking at all the overpriced kitchen must-haves. They had one pan I really liked that had multiple openings to create cutely designed petits fours, but it was $36. I love miniature things, cakes included. But I also appreciate mini prices. =) Then I saw a pink apron with an embroidered cupcake on the front. I drooled a little, but resisted the urge to buy it. It was kid-sized anyway.


These pictures were taken in January at Renee's baby shower. I wanted to take some new ones Saturday, but didn't get around to it. This'll have to suffice.


I love Maria's eyes! She looks just like Cookie Monster.




It reminds me of all the times Renee and I went to the photo booth inside K-Mart the year after we graduated from high school.



After the cake class we went to IHOP for a late breakfast. We had a great time talking about all sorts of stuff. My cheeks and mouth became sore from laughing so much. I kept thinking we were going to be asked to leave. I noticed that some customers came after we'd already been there a while, and they ate and left while we were just biding our time. I think by the time we paid it had been nearly 2 hours. I had a slight headache for quite a while after we parted because of the excessive chuckling. My favorite kind of headache. I can't wait to get together with them again! We bring out the fun in each other. I love it.


3 comments:

  1. That was seriously so much fun. I'm so glad you guys are here to rescue me from otherwise tortuously boring girls nights out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do NOT---I repeat do NOT buy ANY cupcake related aprons...Just don't do it!!!! I may or may not know of some super cute cupcake fabric sitting in someones fabric stash or on their cutting table waiting to be turned into a cupcake delightful apron...I'm just sayin...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoever gets a super cute handcrafted cupcake apron is going to be one super lucky woman (unless it's a man)!

    ReplyDelete