Sunday, March 28, 2010

Feeling Groovy

The latter part of our week was interrupted by a yucky tummy bug. It hit Oliver first, then me, then Cora. Thursday was my day to be out of order. I did not feel well and barely had the might to peel myself off the couch to do what had to be done. Luckily, Oliver was content to watch movies and play semi quietly all morning until nap time while the girls were at school. I had no appetite and was dizzy, bloated and had some chills. I had been up since 3am when Oliver had tossed his cookies in bed. I took him out on the couch and "slept" with him at arm's reach, bowl in hand, thinking he'd have more where that came from. He didn't end up doing it again, but it would have been handy to know that he was fine so I could've slept a little more peacefully. After that, I went all day feeling icky and then only lost it once right at bedtime, mercifully. Cora got sick that same night around midnight, so I was up helping her every so often until the wee hours of the morning. Only Jane and Ryan avoided getting ill.



Anyway, by Saturday we were all feeling much better. I always appreciate returning to my normal healthy self after being sick. We were all needing to get out of the house, and Ryan had some plans for us. He said it was a surprise. After lunch we all piled into the van, without the camera, unfortunately... I don't know what I was thinking.



It looked like we were on our way to Ryan's parents', but our destination was actually a few houses down on the same street, at his uncle and aunt's house. They pretty much have their own community of Lytles on that block. There are 7 separate households of Lytles, in 7 different houses within a few blocks of each other (all from 2 families; Ryan's parents' and Ryan's uncle's family). They all hang out together often, so they figured it would be easier to live by each other. I love the older houses in that neighborhood with their character and big, mature yards (Owyhee/Cassia/Kootenai area), so I don't blame them for wanting to snatch up houses there.



I've strayed from the topic. Ryan had called earlier in the day to ask his Uncle Jim if we could borrow their tandem bike so he could take me for a ride. It had been years and years since I'd tried that. I can't even remember when it was or who I was with, but it was when I was a kid. I think. Dang fuzzy memories. I was excited and impressed that Ryan had thought of that fun little activity. Of course neither of us own bikes, so we were a bit unseasoned. Here's where I have to insert one of my favorite Deep Thoughts, by Jack Handey... "Instead of a bicycle built for two, what about no kinds of bicycles at all for anybody, anymore? There, are you happy now?" Ha! I can't remember for sure how long it's been since I've ridden a bike, but it might be going on a few years, sadly. I'd like a bike. They've always been fun (especially that time when I was hit and knocked over by a slow-moving tenspeed)! I always had access to a bike growing up. I'd ride past boys' houses at night for a rush. I'm surprised I didn't get myself killed that way, riding in the darkness with no bike light or reflective clothing. I've digressed again. Anyway, since I'd been "away from the bike" for some time, my crotch was hurting after a few minutes of riding. Poor me. Ryan was steering and it was scary for me not being able to see where we were going. I had to trust that he wasn't going to crash. It felt like we were about to head into the gutter at any moment, and corners were a bit unnerving. But it was fun. Cora, Jane, Oliver and Hannah (Cora's friend) came along on the trip and played in Ryan's parents' backyard while we were tooling around the neighborhood. Ryan took each of the girls for a turn after I'd gotten my fill.

Then we went home for Oliver's nap and I went to the grocery store and also picked up a pepperoni and artichoke pizza, extra sauce for dinner. It was a good day.



Uh-oh ... I think I spoke too soon about Ryan dodging the yucky tummy bug. He just walked through and said he thinks he's getting sick.

1 comment:

  1. Love the background. ;) Sorry you all got the tummy thing. We had it her two weeks ago. Not pleasant. Glad your on the mend.

    ReplyDelete